Seas 'Diego vs Kanspea 3" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2014, 10:25 PM   #1
ezas is offline ezas  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Seas 'Diego vs Kanspea 3"

Well I though I had settled on the Kanspea 3" speakers with the ff85wk but I came across this kit from Madison Sound. It's the Seas Diego kit here:

The Madisound Speaker Store

While I realize that this is the FR forum, I'm asking here because I wanted to avoid any 2-way bias.

Both speakers would be run with a 5 1/4 TB NRNP sub (F3 70Hz, QTC .85) cabinet run on the desktop.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Kanspea 3" with the FF85WK - with a unfonken cabinet in the plans

Or the Seas kit linked above (frequency response and suggested cabinet in the link)

Things I'd be interested in hearing about is handling low quality source material and more complex music (since I know the FF85WK will handle the opposite well), and how the overall listening experience might compare.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:45 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The little 2-ways are about 2x the price and don't come with the (albiet cheap) enclosure -- 3x as much with no enclosure for the 3" (or about 2x a pair a FF85wKeN). They will have better bass, but isn't that moot with the "sub"? And play louder.

I know how good the FF85 is so even with the SEAS unheard i'd give it the bet. BTW we use a Peerless 4.5" as a bass helper in a couple FF85wKeN FASTs -- one of which i am listening to as i type.

miniOnken/Fonken gallery pictures only

dave
Old 29th January 2014, 08:31 AM   #3
ezas is offline ezas  United States
diyAudio Member

I appreciate the reply as always. The web sites sez the $149 price is for the pair. But I'm trying to figure which I might enjoy more, over price anyway.

But now I realize it's a dumb question. Too many variables, as to which might sound like what. Certainly forgiveness, one of the things I worry about with the Kanspea, is not inherent in either configuration. And I was thinking today after posting that there is a lot to recommend a full range if you are going to practically be wearing them as headphones.

But I am intrigued by those little two-ways given the small footprint and how closely coupled the drivers are.

Side question. What dose SET stand for in your speaker designations?
Old 29th January 2014, 09:21 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezas View Post
The web sites sez the $149 price is for the pair.
Jez i went back twice to check that. Madisound not coming up at the moment soi can't check again.Let's callit a senior moment. Makes me more comfortable with picking FF85wk. Especially if it is for nearfield.

Quote:
Side question. What dose SET stand for in your speaker designations?
Special Edition Trapezoid. There was/is an SE for the old driver, but they discontinued the FF85k before we could but build a prototype.

dave
Old 29th January 2014, 06:38 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Jez i went back twice to check that. Madisound not coming up at the moment soi can't check again.Let's callit a senior moment.
Third check... $150 each

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif Diego-price.gif (39.1 KB, 710 views)
Old 29th January 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

That works out to half price = $300 / pr before cabinets, etc? - these may be very nice, but certainly not a particularly budget entry level kit -

If I read the page correctly, the Fostex offering includes the cute little desk-top amp, and for $6.57 more you can order the FF85WKs - my choice as well, FWIW. While the enclosures could no doubt be surpassed, that seems like a major bargain for a little desk top system.
Old 29th January 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

The "each" on the Madisound store sound refers to each pair....I bought the pair for $149. As always, I'm a little backed-up as far as projects go. I've just finished the ufonken85wk and will post photos soon, so it may be a while before I build the Diego.

I'll also post comments/photes soon on all my "little guys", ufonken85wk, ufonken85k, Scott's 85wk tapered TL (I think that's the right description) which I bought from Dave and a little Kapsea that has the 85k and not the wk....

Mario
Old 29th January 2014, 09:13 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Of course, if you read the whole page on Madisound site for the Diegos, the per Pair is emphasized a couple of times - so, yeah, that's a bit more interesting after all - along with a powered sub could make for a nice little budget HT rig

I think the 85WK TL is "Lance" - there are siblings for A6P and FF105WK - for which I' happen to have some parts cut - just need to route the driver cutouts and blast together
Old 29th January 2014, 09:25 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
there are siblings for A6P and FF105WK
A6.2p gas been drawn, FF105/125/165 are in the queue.

Beta testers for all required.

dave
Old 29th January 2014, 10:05 PM   #10
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
T..I bought the pair for $149. As always, I'm a little backed-up as far as projects go.
Mario
Are those woofers magnetically shielded?

Hide this!Advertise here!