Clairtone Globes with Alpair 12...Done!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tah, Dah! I am declaring these Clairtone Project G speakers done! Done, at least, till I get the Project G made...the completed G will sit where the old bookshelf is now. The cabinet and the globes were all made by me, the stands were made by my son for a university project but I was a major consultant.

Mark Audio Alpair 12 full range driver in a cabinet, designed by Dave from Planet 10, fiberglass globe back and front, fiberglass stands from another project are standing in for now. The original Clairtone shell was two part: an inner perforated natural aluminum shell inside of a black anodized perforated aluminum shell with the holes slightly offset to create a shimmering moire effect. I am enjoying the semi-transparency of these shells.

The sound? Awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0737-001.JPG
    IMG_0737-001.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0714-001.JPG
    IMG_0714-001.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 387
wow! that's a lot of holes to drill

Yes, its a great deal of holes to drill. Took me most of last winter! I'd drill a row or two per day while at work. It all adds up.

I am in the middle of some other projects right now, so the next phase of this project, the aluminum stand, will have to wait its turn. I have the aluminum, but there is some very precise milling that needs to be done and I am not yet set up to do it. Once the stand is done, the cabinet will seem easy!

adason - I'm not sure about all members ( I guess it depends on your browser) but I get some very interesting peripheral images when I click on the "mesh" link - let's just say "lady's clothing" ;)

it took me a few minutes to get back to the matter at hand, so to speak

IINM Douglas ended up going this route after rather a lot of research trying to find something suitable for "premade" mesh globe screens

Douglas: you must be relieved that's over

Douglas, have you thought to make it from some form of mesh? Just press it agains the half globe to form a round shape and somehow fix it. I believe it could provide less restiction for sound.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mes...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=WIriUpXWLqbQ7AbiiYHwBw

This is all about making the globes look as close as possible to the original. If I could have spun perforated aluminum, 36" in diameter, into a hemisphere that is 18" in diameter, then I would have!

While pressing a mesh or screen over the form could have worked, it would have resulted in something entirely different.

Those of you who have been following this project since the beginning know what I am working towards. I occurred to me that there are many who don't, and that they may not know what a Clairtone Project G is.

Clairtone was a Canadian electronics company producing hi-fi equipment back in the day when consoles were the thing. That would be the '60's, basically. The Project G was designed to be an attention getter. Period. They had no intention of long production runs, or mass production, or even of it being profitable. Its purpose was to draw attention to the company and increase sales of more affordable and profitable units.

Anyway, the Project G (G for Globes) ended up stealing the show. It was heavily promoted and was endorsed by the likes of Frank Sinatra and Oscar Peterson. It was also had very clever product placement in a number of films.

The Project G is now a design icon for Mid Century Modern and is very expensive...if you can find one!

Attachments

• clairtone2.jpg
    clairtone2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 169
  • clairtone4.jpg
    clairtone4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 167
  • clairtone10.jpg
    clairtone10.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 168
Wow! I'll have to at yet another AMAZING to this thread! :D You have a lot of patience for sure.

Are those current stands silver painted fiberglass? How are you going to make the aluminum ones? Seems like you could recycle some old tulip chair bases (or get cheap knockoffs) easier than making new ones.

Last edited:
Greg, yes the current stands are fiberglass painted with aluminum spray paint. If I were to continue with this kind of stand I would just buy them as there are many commercially available ones.

The stand that I will be fabricating will be like the one in the photos of the Clairtone Project G. Its is made of bar stock. I already have the material, I just don't have the time right now. Not that is a huge job, I'm just not set up to mill aluminum to the precise tolerances that the stand will require, so it has to wait till I can provide due attention to the task.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.