Full Range Triangular Shape with pyramid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about damping/stuffing the speaker and i have looked on both loose wool, wool felt and twaron angel hair, but i have been thinking to use wool felt on the walls at the upper part of the ml tl cabinet. Dont know exactly how many % of the walls, so please come with suggestions.

But if i could choose the density and thickness on a 100% wool felt eco, which density and thickness would be best for a ML TL like this speaker, and how much amount.

Lets say i could choose density from 0.10-0.70g/cm3 and thickness from 1mm to 100mm. What would be the ultimate specifications for the wool felt both in density and thickness?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was thinking about damping/stuffing the speaker and i have looked on both loose wool, wool felt and twaron angel hair, but i have been thinking to use wool felt on the walls at the upper part of the ml tl cabinet. Dont know exactly how many % of the walls, so please come with suggestions.

But if i could choose the density and thickness on a 100% wool felt eco, which density and thickness would be best for a ML TL like this speaker, and how much amount.

Lets say i could choose density from 0.10-0.70g/cm3 and thickness from 1mm to 100mm. What would be the ultimate specifications for the wool felt both in density and thickness?

Typically, people line 2 or 3 walls with something like 1 inch or 2 in thick dampening material like felt or fiberglass. I like to line the walls (all walls) within vicinity of driver and then use stuffing in upper part down to about 2 to 4 inches below driver. The density is typically 0.25 lb per cubic foot. I will let you convert to metric. (I think that is about 4 grams per 1000 cc).

But in the end it is up to you to adjust as needed after listening or measuring. I always adjust to taste.

I have checked different density, and as you say it is 0.004gram/cm3.

The place is was thinking to order from was this:
100% Wool Felt - Buy Felt,Wool Felt,Industrial Wool Felt Product on Alibaba.com

But density of 0.10gram/cm3 is alot more then 0.004, i dont understand which density is best. I guess it wouldnt be good to have like 0.70gram/cm3 and a thickness of 2inch because then it would be to low bass? I mean the thing would be to catch mid/high and low bass for the most untouch for a tl like this?

But if i get the right thickness and density, then i think it will be nice to order directly from the above link and get the exaclty right dimensions. I also thought about as you said to also have fluffy stuffing also to complement, like this, link didnt work but i search 18.5mic on ebay.co.uk and 21mic for felt on same site.

They also have felt But i guess its to low density and thickness to serve as damping/stuffing so thats why i thought about to order direclty from manufacture, and if i get the right density and thickness then i maybe only need the felt on the walls and dont need the extra fluffy stuffing?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The higher density felt is for stuff you line walls with. That is different from fluffy pillow like stuffing in the main cavity or flow path of the sound. You can't use the dense wool in the main cavity unless you suspend a single sheet of it like a curtain along the diagonal of the main cavity. Use the sheets for walls and fluffy wool or polyfill for cavity.

Yes that was my thought, to use the dense wool felt on the walls, but i wonder which density, i saw that F10 wool felt is popular and it has a density of 0.17-0.27 g/cm3.

But it is expensive so i will order from the manufacture. I think i will go for a density of around 0.2g/cm3 so similar to f10 and 1/2 inch thick for the wool felt then that should be applied on the walls in the upper part of speaker, and as you said use low density wool as stuffing in the air also in the upper part around the driver.

I havent begin to built the speaker yet, but im also interested in making a open baffle with size 24x41 inches. 41 inches is the Height.

With either only one 8" FR, same as in this thread. Or the 8" FR along with a 12" helper woofer. I can get a 12" woofer that has qts around 1, and fs like 30hz and 92db, so should be perfect for open baffle. What do you (Xrk971) say about filter to these two driver on a open baffle? Which parts do i need for say a crossover at around 200hz, how to calculate with the db dropoff and parts? Also that the filter match there difference in sensitivity (92db and 94db).

Would be nice if you could say which parts i need for making a crossover with these drivers crossed over at 200hz on a open baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.