Driver Break in Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2013, 04:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver Break in Questions

hi folks

just a few Q's about the mark audio driver break in

1. what is actually happening during this 100 hours
2. what is LOW volume. here in NYC my ambient noise ranges between 57 - 62 db. is there a recommended DB
3. can the drivers do most of their break in, in free air or open baffle

thanks in advance
lance
Old 1st January 2014, 06:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

well, i can see that some of you chaps have read this post. so i begin to wonder if im just being ignored or if these questions are to silly to be asked. well if it is the latter please excuse my ignorance and someone just answer; because these are REAL questions to me
Old 1st January 2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

if your talking about speaker driver break in, the foam surround and the spider are stiff when new from sitting in the same position. I usually let new drivers play what is on the radio over night 1-3 watts.
My own experience, while the measurements were different none of them were so far that it would have changed my box design.
Old 1st January 2014, 07:46 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ignore Pallas, he is not the manufacturer, and has obviously not yet been in a situation where he has diectly heard the differences that break-in can cause.

When i break in MA drivers, i set them on the bench, face up, i use local FM, turning the volume up so that the cones can be felt to move, but not much (Mark has posted some actual numbers somewhere). I get a minimum of 100 hrs, and usually more like 3-400 hrs before pulling them off the bench. Even with that time on them, they need some real-world playing time before broken in.

dave
Old 1st January 2014, 07:50 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsixis View Post
if your talking about speaker driver break in, the foam surround and the spider are stiff
The surrounds on the MA drivers are a rubber compound. The spiders are designed by one of the pre-eminent spider designers in the world, who has said that some of his designs require 1500 hrs to break-in.

Quote:
My own experience, while the measurements were different none of them were so far that it would have changed my box design.
In my experience, unless you use LEAP, Linear-X, or LMS (or maybe Woofer-Tester 2), you are usually best to start design with factory numbers.

dave
Old 1st January 2014, 08:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
As it relates to another post just put up........
Has anybody bothered to Test for T/S parameters vs. Manufacturers specifications?, further, has anyone tested 'again' after the supposed break-in period to determine the changes in the parameters?
By simply saying it "sounds better" is kinda foolish........Why does it sound better............"measurement vs. perception" all over again , Huh?

62.5 days of playing? 24/7 ? That seems a lot of time. Common sense tells us that a surround and spider will change over time...more compliant? Yes, it is a logical thought.

__________________________________________________ _Rick..........
Old 1st January 2014, 08:17 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Has anybody bothered to Test for T/S parameters vs. Manufacturers specifications?
Yes.

Click the image to open in full size.

This for example is data for the same FE127eN, measured by me with a typical computer based tool (Fuzzmeasure) and then measured by Mark (and the Fostex factory numbers for reference)

dave
Old 1st January 2014, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Happy New Year Guys
Breaking-in Markaudio drivers (and pretty much any driver)is important. There's plenty of advice spread around on many threads/posts.

Member Pallas: Your post has been deleted, its incorrect comment which misleads other members so isn't acceptable on this section of Diyaudio.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 1st January 2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 1st January 2014, 10:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I tested my pair of Alpair 10P drivers both before and after a 100-hour break-in period with the Dayton Audio Test System. There is some question about the reliability of the values produced with this system, and I myself have noticed greatly variable results in Vas numbers using the added mass method, so I now use it only to get resonance and impedance values (for calculating crossovers). I find these values tend to be very similar to the factory numbers.

According to my DATS results, both drivers had a resonant frequency of 45.76 Hz before break-in and 46.43 Hz after. Factory number is 42.398 Hz.

DC resistance on Driver #1 was 6.24 ohms before break-in and 6.21 ohms after. Driver #2 had values of 6.40 ohms before break-in and 6.39 ohms after. Factory number is 6.200 ohms.

Qts on Driver #1 was .340 before break-in and .343 after. Driver #2 had values of .345 before break-in and .356 after. Factory number is .330.

I was pleased that my results were close to the numbers provided by Markaudio, and I was most impressed by how close the values of the two drivers were. That says much for the quality control at Markaudio.
Old 1st January 2014, 10:56 PM   #10
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Pallas,
Your comments in this post are deleted.

You're not a driver designer/maker, neither is Floyd.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 3rd January 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!