Woden Design 3" Box Designs, BabyLabs & more

I think here is right place to post.
Sorry for Japanese web site information that I only find.
FE88-Sol | FOSTEX(フォステクス)
I put my speaker at backpackers hostel lobby but there are no bass.
There are not much space for speaker so I would like to build Lance TL enclosure. I only understand how to decide total length but no idea for width,volume.

Attachments

• ace inn.jpg
    ace inn.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 461
  • ace inn2.jpg
    ace inn2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 453
tamra,

A few points:

- The position you have placed the speakers in - you are unlikely to get bass. Try placing them on the desk and closer to the walls, with drivers closer to ear level when you are seated

- The FE88-Sol cone area is not large, so it is unlikely that you will get a lot of bass out of the driver. A better designed cabinet can add some more bass performance, but do not expect too much powerful bass from a modestly sized driver. :)

What amp are you using to drive the speakers?

Would it be possible for you test the speakers by placing them as suggested and tell us if any improvement in bass?

Thank you zman.
I know there is not good place for speaker. But there are only place I have got.
This is for back ground music like coffee shop so
I dont really expect big bass sound. I just want little more bass,also I would like to try something TL speaker. And I want to put speaker upsidedown and make port head to upside.
I bring there tripth amp - DAC-chromecast audio
I have 6-7 speakers in my room so I bring them to where I work.
Actually my alpair10 marken Tall Trapezoid have great bass in my room.

In that room and with those speaker positions, I don't think you will get much bass.

Probably something like one or two W6-1139SIF ported or PR subwoofer cabinets alongside the existing speakers. Or build something with the Dayton SD215A-88 or a similar dual voice coil or 4 ohm subwoofer. Would probably need a TDA7498 subwoofer amp to run it sensibly..... Or just a 2 channel TDA7498 if you run two 1139s.

This might have been covered in an earlier post, so I apologize ahead of time...

There have been a few small FR drivers come on the scene since Scott and Dave put these designs out. I happen to like the Dayton Audio PS95. Dayton Audio PS95-8 3-1/2" Point Source Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

Is there, by chance, a Baby Lab design on the horizon for this guy? If not, what T/S parameters are most critical in the design of the Baby Labs so I can figure which Baby Lab would be the closest to "acceptable use?"

I've been using a PS95 in a TABAQ lately and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I'd like to try it in other enclosures, so a Baby Lab seems like it might be a good way to go.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, Great question and I will be looking for replies from the guys in the know.. (the British Danes, the Canadian gentlemen, & others).

I took a similiar approach and put a pair of 3" Peerless drivers in a "Red-Eye ish" baby lab a few years ago... I really enjoy them.

How would you compare the PS95 to some of the other drivers you have? If I recollect, you have some paper Mark Audio's?

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
To my 60-year-old, hearing-aid corrected ears, the PS95's are on par with Mark Audio speakers I've used. The top end of my hearing is pretty bad, so keep that in mind. I haven't done an A/B test with them, but I've been using the PS95s in a pair of TABAQs and I am REALLY impressed. They are on sale at Parts Express for two more days, so I ordered 6 more this morning. I'd like to try them in a few different enclosures just for fun. Besides everything else, they are beautiful drivers in my eyes.
Mike

In that room and with those speaker positions, I don't think you will get much bass.

Probably something like one or two W6-1139SIF ported or PR subwoofer cabinets alongside the existing speakers. Or build something with the Dayton SD215A-88 or a similar dual voice coil or 4 ohm subwoofer. Would probably need a TDA7498 subwoofer amp to run it sensibly..... Or just a 2 channel TDA7498 if you run two 1139s.
It seems its not really worth to rebuild to Lance TL speaker.
I have tried to add Fostex mini-sub woofer. It add boomy noise for me so I took out.At lounge,tourists there,most of people dont listening music so Its better avoid boomy bass I think. I might change fe-88sol to alpair7ms. It has bass reflex port on front baffle so It might have a little difference.

Still snowed under with work, but a one off for the FE88-Sol. Note that a QW variation does not automatically equate to more LF output or extension than a different form of vented enclosure. Diagram is a bowdlerised one of Dave's; dimensions are accurate, scale isn't.

Attachments

• Fostex FE88-Sol desktop acoustical labyrinth.PNG
    Fostex FE88-Sol desktop acoustical labyrinth.PNG
    65.8 KB · Views: 575
y'all gotta stop speaking the Queen's English, mate, some folks are gonna hafta fire up the Google to decipher the "b" word.

All kidding aside, and pardon my decrepitude, but was there ever a Baby Lab for the A5.2, or any other upcoming MA driver of that weight class?

wait, what, there's more on the way? :rolleyes: who's gonna spill the beans?

y'all gotta stop speaking the Queen's English, mate, some folks are gonna hafta fire up the Google to decipher the "b" word.

All kidding aside, and pardon my decrepitude, but was there ever a Baby Lab for the A5.2, or any other upcoming MA driver of that weight class?
wait, what, there's more on the way? :rolleyes: who's gonna spill the beans?

The Baby Lab for the A5.2 is called the Bloodhound. I am surprised that you haven't built 3 or 4 pairs of them by now. Few seem being built on this forum which is a mystery to me. Rumor has it that there is an A5.3 in our future. I suppose when this happens, Scott will have to alter the Bloodhound into some other hound.

Quite like the A5.2, and may have built a pair of the Bloodhounds, but as 95% of my builds are either residing in Dave's collection or have been sold, I can't confirm that. I did blast together several of the Baby Labs. The only A5.2 builds I can remember for sure are a pair of trapezoid MarKenSETs, the FH Lites, and one of Scott's MLTLs (Giraffe?) .

I've also heard tale of several new MA drivers in the pipeline - A5.3 among them, although by how much the T/S parameters have been revised is not yet certain - I guess we'll need to await the formal release of the specs, and for existing resellers to confirm availability.
Included in this new cohort is a paper cone Pluvia Seven PHD tailored specifically for the taste of the Japanese / Asian market that many of us would find "interesting".