BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Congrats on first sound! :cheers:
Live jazz clubs is also one of my favorites.
A first order guess is to double the width for dual drivers and fine tune from there. Are you using any stuffing in main driver chamber?

I am stuffing for now. I will most likely maintain a solid stuff but also felt the walls. I may try to get some stuff down the throat as well to see if that damps without muddying. Overall the sound so far is astounding. Far better than I expected. Definitely better than other builds I've done of other small Horn/TL hybrids. Definitely more pleasing sound than I've ever had off a paper driver like a fostex (126/127) or the fe83 etc. breaking n is still occurring but thus far seems quite good.

Tom

One of the things I enjoy immensely is listening to live jazz in a jazz club. The DB level of that is quite high and hard to reproduce in my listening room. Granted, what I am achieving as far as volume, is quite high.

Yeah, I use to spend a lot of time in piano bars, small clubs and 85-90 dB average with 115-120 dB peaks depending on how close the LP was when there was drums, requiring large compression horns and dual HE 15" in huge cabs/channel at minimum IME to go ~ 'live' in the relatively large, open rooms I've had, so figure the horn mouth needs to be good down to ~40 Hz setting on the floor once any room gain is factored in.

GM

Okay, I ran some sweeps just to try and listen to what I'm getting. I was pretty amazed to hear that 40 Hz is being reproduced, even it it's not super loud it is quite apparent. I need to unpack all my testing gear. I haven't hooked it up since i lived in my new house so that will tell me whats going on. I suspect a small rising response to 300 or so which makes sense because per my design the horn hands over to the TL somewhere between 300-700. I hear a pretty noticeable dip somewhere around the middle and I believe that's where the merge hits the rubicon. This is all quite fantastic though as I have designed the TL sub to hand off around high 50-60 Hz which should be where the TL begins the sub F3 drop. The drivers are loosening up though and clarity and sparkle are becoming apparent. The congested nature of a new driver always kills me to listen too. It feels like i have a sinus infection that is affecting my hearing. More to come.

Tom

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Placement will really affect things, so play around with the height and distance from back walls. 6 inches can sometimes make a noticeable improvement in handling floor/wall bounce induced dips in the response. I often play with the placement in the sim to get a rough idea of where to place and then fine tune by ear from there. Looking forward to seeing the measurements.

GM. I was running from memory. I went back to my trusty book (Yes, I do everything in graphite by hand including the speaker profile. I don't use the computer except for figuring out cut sheets and to visualize the end box.) My mouth is 200 Hz, my flair is 50 Hz and my CC is 780. That all checks out. I need to run a response sweep once I get out the mic and preamp and see what I am actually dealing with. When i said it was around 300 Hz for the dip, I was estimating. Take nothing I say about what I am hearing measurement wise as law. Once I pull a full 2 meter height open space sweep and an in room sweep we will be able to see what is actually going on. I can still say that they are reproducing on a level much higher than expected. I have run Rock, Classical and Jazz through them with very good results on all fronts. The sub design is almost complete but I think I will need some tweaking.

Tom

Well, I'm starting to question what I've done. Maybe it's standard scientific thinking or the couple beers I had with dinner but I'm looking at my numbers and I can't for the life of me understand why it's worked so well. The sims through Martins software bear out what I am hearing (for the most part) but I don't understand specifically why it's working so well for its size and profile. I rolled the mouth off at 200 Hz and used a 50 Hz flare rate. I calculated my CC to be 760 Hz but can't find the King article that referred to why calculating baffle step and using that number to tune the CC was important. Now I wonder if I misread it. I have to figure out why this is working so well. I'm sure the corners I have them in are helping but they are almost a meter off the ground so the ground boundary is almost null. Any thought GM?

Tom

My mouth is 200 Hz, my flair is 50 Hz and my CC is 780.

Hmm, a 200 Hz mouth reflecting off the floor is ~183"^2, while yours is > 4x smaller, so not sure what yours actually is since I don't recall every testing an elevated mouth.

WRT flair frequency, I get ~46 Hz based on published specs, so 50 Hz is close enough.

CC is pretty large, so what specs are you using and/or how much series resistance are you factoring in?

GM

Well, here is an in room on axis sweep of the enclosure. Says a lot and shows that I was off by over a hundred Hz on the estimate. Now I just need to figure out what to do to solve these issues.

Tom

11459565494_0ccc1b71cb_o.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.