Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I really should invest in a new hot-melt glue gun.
Old 12th December 2013, 06:45 PM   #12
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Foamcore sure is a quick way to a prototype if one does not have a shop ready at a second's notice for some wooducutting action. I can always dream...

Such a BLH can be a fun way to play with smaller FR drivers, here, have a look at something I've done just over a year ago:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...rn-ff85wk.html

I mostly wanted to check how the build would come out compared to Hornresp simulations, which was not too bad IIRC. It could probably be bettered upon easily by a designer more experienced than me in this type of enclosure.

Good luck!

IG
Old 13th December 2013, 03:41 AM   #13
Harderror is offline Harderror  United States
diyAudio Member

GM, I decided on cabinet grade Birch for the prototype. I feel the same as you do. I hate MDF. Once i hammer out the problems and such I will build them from BB. I tried to do MDF but once I was at the store looking at it I just couldn't bring myself to use that wretched stuff.

Tom
Old 13th December 2013, 03:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

GM, I just reread what you wrote and think i misread. I like to prototype in wood. It's a days work to get something that you can mess with infinitely and will sound far closer to what you will build in the end. I did try some foamcore on my last little project and it worked quite well but when i built then in wood I don't believe the false resonances translated and therefore the sound was drastically different.

IG81, I like the look of those! Did they end up being everything you hoped they would?

Tom
Old 13th December 2013, 05:15 AM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, you took it the both ways I intended, i.e. prototyping a horn in MDF for a BB build is a fool's errand IME as its resonant structure is completely different, so might as well do it with minimal effort in foam core, which will still be good enough as a POC as IG noted; and if you start with a high enough Qts driver, FC is good enough for a finished product by simply veneering the exterior with thick wallpaper/whatever, assuming kids, large pets aren't an issue.

GM
Old 13th December 2013, 11:57 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

It's funny GM, I noticed that there are a lot of people prototyping in foam-core for all sorts of designs. I just can't bring myself to that. I still can't manage a build in MDF any longer. (It was good to see cabinet grade birch was only ten dollars more). I believe some years ago you and I had a discussion somehow relating to this (or maybe I was lurking) and I think that had such a profound effect on me in regards to the negative aspects of MDF that I haven't used it to prototype since then. In defense of those using FC, I think those super odd esoteric spiral horn builds might warrant it just to make sure of theoretical suspicion or intuitions. Either way, I did use FC once to knock together a mini table top TL that I wanted to find out if my thoughts on its design in very general terms were correct. It did prove that my idea at least works.

On another note, I managed to cut my piece of cabinet grade birch down to manageable sizes just to get it out out the cold last night. Maybe in the next few days, if it warms up, I will be able to get all the parts cut and begin the base assembly. I can't wait to hear if my ideas for this piece are "sound" or if I missed the boat entirely.

Tom
Old 13th December 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harderror View Post

IG81, I like the look of those! Did they end up being everything you hoped they would?

Tom
I could answer 'yes', but then again my expectations were not sky-high. The "horn" works in the sense that baffle-step is compensated for, but in a rough kind of way. I think if one is not going to go for a large enough mouth to really have some useful horn-loading going on, the implementation of modern TL techniques such as driver offset and mass-loading would likely give a superior result. Like I mentioned, my basic design is probably not as good as it could be anyway, within its own paradigm - I'm pretty sure something quite enjoyable could be made with this more old-school approach.

IG
Old 13th December 2013, 12:36 PM   #18
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In defense of those using FC, I think those super odd esoteric spiral horn builds might warrant it just to make sure of theoretical suspicion or intuitions.
This is exactly the thing FC is good for, but as GM pointed out, with a high Qts driver, it actually sounds really good - and can measure really well too. There is no easier method for making smooth curves or spirals. My latest effort with a spiral closed end TL worked out very well (Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?), and I am now working on a teardrop shaped enclosure out of FC.
Click the image to open in full size.
These prototype take a few hours, cost almost nothing, and get me the general idea of how it may sound if I could actually make it out of something more durable one day when I have a workshop.
Glad that you tried your TL in FC. Your BLH could be done with 3/4 in thick XPS foam sheathing from a home DIY place. Bcmbob made the Decware DNA BLH with this stuff and it worked to produce a speaker that made 30 Hz.
I like the design of your BLH - good luck on your build!
Old 13th December 2013, 01:15 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I could answer 'yes', but then again my expectations were not sky-high. The "horn" works in the sense that baffle-step is compensated for, but in a rough kind of way. I think if one is not going to go for a large enough mouth to really have some useful horn-loading going on, the implementation of modern TL techniques such as driver offset and mass-loading would likely give a superior result. Like I mentioned, my basic design is probably not as good as it could be anyway, within its own paradigm - I'm pretty sure something quite enjoyable could be made with this more old-school approach.

IG
Yes, the TL is mandatory on a small build. As you see I included, well technically anyway full TL action in my design. I'm hoping for a really nice midbass as a result. It would be nice as you said to be able to listen late at night without a sub on or a giant set of speakers shaking my neighbors wall (I live in a row house in the District of Columbia).

Tom
Old 13th December 2013, 01:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
This is exactly the thing FC is good for, but as GM pointed out, with a high Qts driver, it actually sounds really good - and can measure really well too. There is no easier method for making smooth curves or spirals. My latest effort with a spiral closed end TL worked out very well (Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?), and I am now working on a teardrop shaped enclosure out of FC.
These prototype take a few hours, cost almost nothing, and get me the general idea of how it may sound if I could actually make it out of something more durable one day when I have a workshop.
Glad that you tried your TL in FC. Your BLH could be done with 3/4 in thick XPS foam sheathing from a home DIY place. Bcmbob made the Decware DNA BLH with this stuff and it worked to produce a speaker that made 30 Hz.
I like the design of your BLH - good luck on your build!
Thank you! I hope it will turn out as planned. I love that you are doing those really interesting designs with the FC. The XPS is fun stuff! I always had my students glue it up and carve it in my "Introduction to Sculpture" class. I will have to try some of my more "interesting" ideas that I don't want to drop fifty bucks on a sheet of plywood for sometime soon.

Tom

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4Hide this!Advertise here!