Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4
BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2014, 01:54 AM   #101
Harderror is offline Harderror  United States
diyAudio Member

BeauB, I will be using a 10 inch Eminence driver that I bought two of a few years ago at parts express during a tent sale. It was known as the Eminence 10" DVC. What you are looking for in a driver is a high Qts close to or over .7 and a low Fs. That woofer has a low Fs but the Qt indicates that it likely won't work well at all. I suspect this one will work well and it has a good reputation to boot. I will sim it and see. I'll try to post a curve so you can have a look.

http://www.parts-express.com/goldwoo...oofer--290-362

Tom
Old 30th January 2014, 02:39 AM   #102
BeauB is offline BeauB
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harderror View Post
BeauB, I will be using a 10 inch Eminence driver that I bought two of a few years ago at parts express during a tent sale. It was known as the Eminence 10" DVC. What you are looking for in a driver is a high Qts close to or over .7 and a low Fs. That woofer has a low Fs but the Qt indicates that it likely won't work well at all. I suspect this one will work well and it has a good reputation to boot. I will sim it and see. I'll try to post a curve so you can have a look.

Goldwood GW-410D 10" Poly DVC Subwoofer | 290-362

Tom
Boy Tom, I hope the driver you linked works - I have a hard time imagining a less costly driver!

And I assume you will be running it in series, showing 8 ohms to the amplifier?

Last edited by BeauB; 30th January 2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 30th January 2014, 03:55 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Absolutely, but the amp I am running is two ohm stable so I could go wither way.
Old 30th January 2014, 04:53 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

So I am playing with numbers. I may redesign the H frame for one of the accepted 12" or 15" inch subs from Eminence I made an error in my T/S entry and that is why it looked like it was working so well. As it sits right now, it will probably work okay as long as I make the baffle larger. I'll recalculate everything and see what I get tomorrow.

Tom
Old 10th January 2017, 05:40 AM   #105
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I was thinking about building an enclosure for RS100-4 driver and would like to get an update on Harderror's build.

So, who is it now ?
Is your design final and can I use it ?
Old 10th November 2017, 02:14 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Logged in today and saw this thread I made years ago. Hooked up these speakers and decided I think, that I want to continue development. The H frame never worked out without being far to large. Sealed may be the solution for the sub. I'm also working out the crossover to bring some brightness to these drivers. They simply don't do much above 5-8k and I'd like a little more of the atmosphere that a good tweeter could offer. Im thinking planar.

Tom
Old 16th November 2017, 02:19 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I realized for some strange reason I had crammed a bunch of acoustastuff in the cc of the boxes. Once removed, suddenly all of my highs returned. Not sure what I was up to when I did that. I calculated a notch filter for them today and ordered parts. I’m back at working on a passive subwoofer for them. I flushed the idea of using eminence drivers in an H frame as it just never really worked out.im thinking something relatively inexpensive from the Dayton reference line. Maybe something that works well sealed since with horns you want tight clean bass. I’ll keep the forum posted. If it gets to a point where I really like them I’ll post a final set of plans and a parts sheet. For those many people that emailed me about building these over the last 4 years, I apologize for disappearing and dropping the project but I had some life changes at the time. Hopefully we will have a real solid build out of this.
Old 16th November 2017, 05:23 PM   #108
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harderror View Post
Sealed may be the solution for the sub.
BLHs are 4th order, so TL, 4th order BP for subs was a good plan before digital XOs, TD became popular and assume still are since room gain has an inverse slope. Hopefully, 'life changes' were much more pleasant/positive than some of us here.

GM

Last edited by GM; 16th November 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 17th November 2017, 03:23 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Hello GM! I hope you are well. It’s been a while. Thank you for the input on that. I’ll work it out and see what I can manage since I’ve decided to try a new subwoofer driver. As for life changes, I quit teaching, then had a personal situation that almost destroyed everything. Good news is after a great deal of strife, disaster was not averted but all was repaired. Things are far better now than they have been in years so all is well. It sounds as if you may have had hard times as well. I hope things are better if this is the case.

Tom
Old 17th November 2017, 08:13 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

A little teaser for this box. It sounds pretty astounding as it is but I'm assembling a filter this weekend to deal with the bump centered at 2400 or so Hz. The concept is proven on these so I will be putting together a plan for anyone interested in the build. Though i keep talking of building a sub, they really do well even without one. I have been running them in corners of course but next phase of testing will be just on straight walls. We will see how that works out but I am optimistic.

YouTube This link is the video recorded with a half way decent video mic on my 4K filmmaking SLR.

BLH/TL Build for Dayton RS100-4Hide this!Advertise here!