Ideas for under tv speaker box of some sort. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Rick B is offline Rick B  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ideas for under tv speaker box of some sort.

A friend wants me to buld him a speaker that will mount under his outside tv 32inch. he wants to be able to plug his muic device into it for sound in the back yard at times. THis center channel/stereo type speaker can be around tv width 7 to 10inches high and up to 12 inches deep and it will be stereo right and left chanels. so can anyone suggest some drivers that might suffice? high efficiencey is good, Full range oh and outdoor worthy. One driver for each side or 2 or more per side like an array? Ideas? I will run it off a classD amp probably 25w per chanel.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

something like this perhaps?
Modern Record Console – integrates traditional ?old school? electronics with modern wireless capabilities… :: Nylon Recordings/Trax
Old 6th December 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thats ok but not really what im thingking of. This will be more like a center chanel /boombox with built in amp. I just want to know what people might put together for high sensativity since its going to be outside and outdoor worthy(elements) i 3 or 4in full range on each side or maybe a couple on each. ???
Old 6th December 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Put qnty 2 Vifa TC9FD's per side in a soundbar type flat box with 10 to 15 liters per box tuned to 60 Hz. Use a $17 tpa3116d2 50 w/ch amp and drive in parallel at 4 ohms for 91 dB sensitivity at 2,83v. You will be out $57 and it will sound awesome and be loud enough for most TV duties or backyard MP3 player duties.
Old 7th December 2013, 03:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

this is the kind of info I was looking for thanks...You think it will be ok outside? obviously under a patio but still outside.
Old 7th December 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A first thing to do is clarify the exact dimensions, since it will affect the volume available. For example, assuming 3/4" material, the difference of internal volume between 7" tall and 10" tall is 55%!! And of course the internal volume will affect which drivers match.

Definitely something like the Vifas would be a big step up from whatever is in the TV, but looking at that available height and roughly 1.3 internal cubic feet (36ish liters) it seems a shame to run only 3.5" drivers. I also wonder about your listening area setup, and the high frequency dispersion from those Vifas. I am not being negative, just wondering. it seems

0.6 cubic feet per side is not huge, though, so it probably means 5" or maybe 6" drivers plus tweeters. If you want to go this direction, settle your dimensions and start another thread "advice for 0.6 cubic foot two-ways" or whatever, which will get way more replies than this thread.

OR if you are running active power amps, you could have those Vifas sealed in small internal stuffed partitions (how much volume do they need?) and stuff in maybe an 8" subwoofer, dual voice coil powered by a pair of amps for example. You could build active crossovers, or just passive filters at the amplifier inputs.* The beefier driver for lows, along with high pass filtering the small Vifas, should sound really great

*Maybe 3rd order lowpass, 1st order high pass. With some kind of adjustability to it. That's the complicated part that means a pair of two-way 6" might be simpler.

Hide this!Advertise here!