New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

well the Fane didn't get much play in the Karlson 12 - -I can't find a resistor to calibrate WT3 but if its ballpark, then relatively fresh out of the box, fs ~67Hz and Qts quite high at around 0.84 - - dunno how much these would shift with exercise of the suspension. Qts is probably too high to put in the Karlsonator - guess could try and run it with bass heavy program. In contrast, an old Beta8cx without a compression driver measures fs ~67Hz and qts 0.3 so the Fane spec now is probably ballpark. At any rate, the Fane should make a nice open baffle fullrange.

Last edited:
trying to lower fs and qts - so far after maybe 12 hours of sine around 4 watts/50Hz, and a few spurts of lower F and higher drive fs ~62Hz and Qts ~0.8 - might have to run it at ~16Hz and 6 watts nominal to 8 ohm - don't know if its possible to meet fs=50 and qts = 0.65 spec. Its a fun driver and should be good for open baffle - it even sounds pretty good in my Karlsonator 12 but must be peaking some above cutoff. I'm afraid to run it real long above 10 watts sine - - a two tone generator might get it.

I think that if there isn't enough output (bass), a vertical array of 2 or more may work, especially with the limited dispersion. I saw sealed in 68L it could get to 118db without skipping past 5.5mm xmax (lol gargle?).

There must be a shorting ring seeing the Impedance, but why wouldn't that be a selling point to mention ?

Ignoring dispersion, a few of those could make for a neat intelligible home theater. I may try that.

Last edited:
I could not push the excursion much in a Karlsonator - I'd think it would be tough to get much excursion on wide range material without getting blasted by mids -FWIW, it didn't seem to gargle much on goofy car bass cds ("BASS bass bass") - two per baffle might be fun.

Think I could vertical array them ?

If even a foot off axis you lose highs, I'd think a bit of combing could knock down 1-4khz, yet leave above that untouched..........
And I'd have bass !!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, maybe cross at 100hz for some rumble too.

Fred what ya think ?

Nigel ?
How do your dual pair sound at say 10' ?
Any helpfull combing ?

I'd expect to run a 10 band eq anyway.
And I doubt the combing would touch above 5khz..........

Norman

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I could not push the excursion much in a Karlsonator - I'd think it would be tough to get much excursion on wide range material without getting blasted by mids -FWIW, it didn't seem to gargle much on goofy car bass cds ("BASS bass bass") - two per baffle might be fun.

Freddi,
When you say you can't get much excursion in a K'nator, is it because of good cone motion control, or the mids sound too bright (shout) and intolerable? Has anyone tried EQ'ing this driver to get more balanced output? The off axis performance can certainly be improved with a Karlson aperture. My measurements with a K aperture on a small XKi shows fantastic polar coverage - 5dB variation at 45deg up to 10kHz. This is on a small 3.5in driver and small K aperture but it has to help even for larger apertures.

that Fane is stiff plus there's not a lot of motor strength so I think it would be difficult to destroy on an open baffle - it actually sounds pretty good (a bit 'warm') in the Karlsonator12 and played hiphop relatively cleanly without noticeable "gargle" of vocals or high frequency sounds. The Fane also sounded clear without artifact in a regular slit vent Karlson 12 but was devoid of any real bass in that case.

Cone control overall seems good in the Karlsonator12 as my Nirvana stamped framed Super10 had good dynamics and reach - I've seen it jump in a bass reflex far from linear excursion - I think the Kalrsonator went a bit deeper than Super10 in K15. (Super10 in K15 is "warm" & "musical") Also the Karlsonator was the best so far for 12LTA but I've not run 12LTA in K15 as have plenty of stronger coax.

I'm impressed with Karlsonator12 - need to try a Beta10cx or powerful 12cx.

Last edited:
Not in a karlson, think the sweet spot is 3' wide (total) at 9' ?

I think I remember you saying rain sounds different a foot off axis 5' away......

QTS probably around .8, 52oz magnet.
Only 1.5mm of overhang, 3mm xmax, plus adding 20% top plate means 3.5mm.

I think legis said on the fane 200lt, it went from 3 to 5mm with no changes.

Fred, can ya measure the impedance of it ?

Norman

Last edited:
the shift of timbre on rain recordings was in reference to L.Cao's F6 - its a fact of life compared to a little dome tweeter in a regular 2-way.

Norm - did your Fane arrive?

EGNzbUP.gif

uZTMaNi.gif