Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 4FE32 must be a pretty newly available driver because I can't seem to find any builds or listening impressions with it. The specs look like it will make a good full range box suitable for MLTL, mini-Karlsonator, etc. I like the thick front side gasket as I am contemplating some rear-mounted driver designs. The 91dB efficiency combined with 4 ohms and a $37 price are attractive.

Specs: http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-1121-faitalpro-4fe32-specifications.pdf

faitalpro-4fe32-size350.gif

faitalpro-4fe32-freq-size475.gif

There is a smaller 3FE22 is also a Nd motor unit with similar specs.

Does anyone have experience or listening impressions with these units?

Regards,
X

I got a 4FE32 about a year ago from an online reseller that quoted me a $45 price then charged me $35 to ship it from New York. I used it for a guitar amp that fits inside the electric guitar. It works good for that purpose but I am only feeding it about 4 watts.

I hooked it up to a tube amp without an enclosure and it did sound like it was worth listening to. I did not like the way the whole guitar turned out (my woodworking skills suck) so I will probably rebuild it some day. The next one will use a 3 inch speaker, the 4 inch unit is too deep.

The amp in the guitar rolls off lows below 80 Hz and the cavity behind the speaker is too small, so no Xmax issues. An electric guitar has virtually no energy above 5KHz so no noticible loss of HF there.

I listened to it for a few minutes on a tube amp without an enclosure, so very limited bass, but the vocals and everything else sounded good.

The speaker is out of the guitar now, so I may get a chance to hook it up again, but with all that's going on right now, I can't say when. I have some other small FR speakers I want to compare for a portable amp system, but I am losing my job and planning to move out of state. A lot of unfinished projects will be boxed up indefinitely or eliminated. I can't plan anything since I don't have an official exit date yet.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
4FE32 in 0.4X scale Karlsonator

Here is what I think I single 4FE32 will sound like in a 0.4X scale Karlsonator. That is a 12 in tall x 6 in wide box - quite compact and very bookshelf or desktop size.

Freq Response:

384069d1385264600-anyone-try-faital-pro-4fe32-3fe22-karlsonator-6x-4fe32-freq-1m.png

Impulse Response:

384070d1385264754-anyone-try-faital-pro-4fe32-3fe22-karlsonator-6x-4fe32-impulse.png

Looks like it might be worth trying...

Attachments

• Karlsonator-6X-4FE32-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-6X-4FE32-Freq-1m.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,393
  • Karlsonator-6X-4FE32-Impulse.png
    Karlsonator-6X-4FE32-Impulse.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 4,278
Last edited:
I recently tested the 4FE32 and found the distortion performance was rather unacceptable. Results posted on another forum, link below:
small midrange shootout: Faital Pro 4FE32 and ScanSpeak 10F4424G00

I was hoping to use it as a midrange, but... I decided to use another (larger) driver instead.

I have a pair, used only for this testing, that I would be happy to sell you for half price...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
CharlieLaub,
Thanks for the link. A most interesting and spirited discussion on PE Techtalk. :)
Maybe I did not read the distortion plots correctly but I am not sure I see a huge difference - if corrected for 2dB difference and placed in an enclosure to properly load driver to reduce excursion - the distortion may be very different when you ask a driver to stay well below its xmax. One thing no one pointed out is that the Faital is water resistant - an important advantage for some applications. Good to see some measurements though.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
VonAh,
It does look very nice on paper, just wondering why so few have used it. With this type of efficiency it may give the Fostexes some competition. Remains to be heard though. The ferrite ones have slightly higher Qts and I think the Nd ones sim better. This may be my next FC build. Just need the drivers and some time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Looks like a fun project to me. Faital are relative newcomers, at least to the US market. Also, they are targeted and designed for the prosound market. That would explain why they haven't been used much by DIY'ers.

This even looks more fun as a dual driver 4FE32 in a 0.53X scale (same as the ones I built for the dual Vifa's). Great 94dB efficiency and smooth response.

384163d1385327759-anyone-try-faital-pro-4fe32-3fe22-karlsonator-8x-dual-4fe32-freq-1m.png

Attachments

• Karlsonator-8X-Dual-4FE32-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-8X-Dual-4FE32-Freq-1m.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 3,161
Faital seems to have been around in one form or another since the 1950s, so hardly new.
The 3fe25 (ferrite) looks like incredible value for the money. It has the high sensitivity and very impressive off axis behavior for paper. And it only cost a tiny bit more than it's nearest competitor the Vifa/Peerless tc9fd-18-08, for which it is a nigh on drop-in replacement apart from the 7dB better sensitivity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.