Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did not look at the 3FE25 - if it is a drop on replacement for the Vifa that is very cool. Must be a 3 in dia cutout?

I just checked the cutout dia is indeed 2.90 in - very close. And it comes in 4 ohms too. Less excursion though - however x damage is nearly 8 mm so it should be able to handle transients well.

Last edited:
The freq response plots look pretty good. Where is the nasty peak you are talking about? I love the Vifa's sound and how smooth they are. But if I can get something that is like a Vifa but with 6dB more efficiency that would be very nice.

Have a look at the ScanSpeak 10F4424G00. It's comparable in size, but more efficient. You will pay a bit more for it, bit it is an excellent driver.

product page at Madisound:
The Madisound Speaker Store

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Have a look at the ScanSpeak 10F4424G00. It's comparable in size, but more efficient. You will pay a bit more for it, bit it is an excellent driver.

product page at Madisound:
The Madisound Speaker Store

That 10f does look like a very nice driver. The low Qts makes it really suited for driving a horn, however for MLTL or BR the fb is rather high - you won't get deep bass like the Vifa or as much as the Faital. I will run it through the mini Karlsonator sim and see what it looks like. $90 ea is kind of steep though.

The yellow Vifa seems to be out of production and the Scanspeak is a whole other league, apart from having pretty different T/S parameters.
As I gather it, this is about finding high value (in the Vifa/Faital range) small drivers, with high Qts for use in MLTLs?

The freq response plots look pretty good. Where is the nasty peak you are talking about? I love the Vifa's sound and how smooth they are. But if I can get something that is like a Vifa but with 6dB more efficiency that would be very nice.

I can't remember now, but maybe in midtones, it has something like big distorsion scrachy vocal sound, that for me, comparing to other good wideranger, is almost unlistenable.

It can play loud, but that has nothing to do with good sound...

ScanSpeak is the way to go, I'm waiting for mine to arrive... have you seen, there is a new and cheaper version of 10F, and also 5F
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

I can't remember now, but maybe in midtones, it has something like big distorsion scrachy vocal sound, that for me, comparing to other good wideranger, is almost unlistenable.

It can play loud, but that has nothing to do with good sound...

ScanSpeak is the way to go, I'm waiting for mine to arrive... have you seen, there is a new and cheaper version of 10F, and also 5F
Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

€89 vs. €15 is a huge difference if you just want something to play around with in experiments, do various arrays, or just want to do a budget speaker.
That, and again the Qts makes it unsuited for MLTL. It would be better in a horn.
Undoubtably a superior driver in most ways in the right cab, but not as an alternative to the drivers discussed there.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree with Squeak, the Scanspeak unit is perhaps superior but the price and Qts are not in line with what I am looking for. Especially for prototyping with foam core builds! The Vifa TC9FD is perhaps the close competitor. Although I have not tried it, the Visaton FR10 looks like it may work too. What is interesting is how similar the Scanspeak unit is similar to the Vifa - they both use the NRSC patented paper cone and have similar shapes on surround and cone to surround transition. Are the companies related?

Yes they are. They were two separate companies, then merged in the mid nineties (also with Peerless) and then the Vifa brand (VIFA = Videbæk Højttalerfabrik (Videbæk loudspeakerplant) was made into the "normal" quality and Scanspeak the "high end". They've also been involved with norwegian SEAS at various points.
It's all under the Tymphany hat now.
As far as I know it's all still essentially owned and controlled from Denmark (although I'm not sure what Tymphany really is), although the manufacturing of the cheaper units are sourced to China and there are offices and facilities in the US.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It all makes sense now. The $10 TC9FD is an amazing driver and I can say that it probably is made in China to achieve that price but I have no issues with quality or how it sounds. The high end is smooth and good as a dedicated tweeter. The high Qts lets it reach well below its fs in the right box, and details like vented pole piece, vented spider, copper shorting ring are all there. Again, a great value for a lot of technology.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
4FE32

I've used the heavier ferrite versions and they sound great and very smooth.

use them in a mini line array built as CBT, with provision for weighting/shading every 4 speakers. these are replacing the visaton FS10. the visaton's died early as they could not handle more than 10W rms.
ATTACH]

I used PVC rings to create the curvature of the sources

indeed a nice way to add some more loading below 150Hz. I did add venting ports in the array, but the total needs to be EQ'd as the volume , Q's dont match for flat butterw tuning.
I get a 4-5 dB hump that, when EQ'd away adds more headroom in the 150Hz range. the bottom is handled by separate subs anyway

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.