Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?
Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2016, 04:01 PM   #61
mpa is offline mpa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
That would make for a very sensitive line array probably in the 100dB/w sensitivity range.
Indeed! I'm not sure how to go about confirming sensitivity but with 24 drivers per side (floor to ceiling) they are quite efficient. The bass response surprised me and mounted in the corners (as I have them) in room response reaches 30Hz with a mild (3dB) shelf below 100Hz although I'm currently crossing them to subs at 60Hz.

I have some 4FE32 as surround speakers but I'm not convinced they are paper cones?
Old 25th November 2016, 01:32 AM   #62
horst303 is offline horst303  Australia
diyAudio Member

24! now we're cooking!
You can really only determine line sensitivity by measuring, you can guess well for 2 or 4 but after 8 there seems to be a natural sensitivity level that you can't exceed no matter how many more drivers you pile on, and it seems to depend on the driver but I'm guessing that it probably depends on the driver diameter, 100dB/w/1m seem like a good guess.

How did you wire them? what are you using to drive them?
Old 25th November 2016, 09:31 AM   #63
mpa is offline mpa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE How did you wire them? what are you using to drive them?[/QUOTE]

I work in pro audio so much of my system comes from that background. Each channel is divided into 2x12 driver lines. Every 3 drivers are wires in series and share a chamber then these are paralleled to give me 2x6ohm loads that I drive from my Chevin Q6 amplifiers. So each L&R is driven from two amplifier channels. Lots of power available but this is limited to prevent driver damage!

The floor to ceiling arrays have virtually eliminated a 200Hz room mode that I was always fighting with point source speakers and overall response is much smoother..
Old 26th November 2016, 12:09 AM   #64
howardg is offline howardg  United States
diyAudio Member

An impregnated fibre cone is a kind of composite, I suppose. To my admittedly subjective ear, my 4" Faital FR has less of the classic paper sound, that I like, than the JBLLE5-6. But in my application-as a 3 octave mid-it seems much easier to work with than the old JBL, which has a very dramatic rise above 3500hz.

If (impregnated) cone damping is helping calm breakup that otherwise might be there in the low treble area, it is a worthwhile trade-off. Full range enthusiasts have long modified paper cone drivers with coatings anyway.

One interesting thing is that I have these in 1.25" deep wave guides made with a 1"radius round over bit in wood. Not sure yet how that affects the FR, but Bud P. said-in a casual context- that wave guides can do some similar wave control as EnABL.

I had a Fostex fe126e in this same baffle previously, and I thought that it made it more coherent.

I think that I will leave the Faital in the open baffle and run them full range for purpose of break-in, then I will get an idea of what they sound like FR, minus most of the content below 150hz or so, I suppose.
Old 26th June 2018, 03:17 PM   #65
criper is offline criper
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I recently tested the 4FE32 and found the distortion performance was rather unacceptable. Results posted on another forum, link below:
small midrange shootout: Faital Pro 4FE32 and ScanSpeak 10F4424G00

I was hoping to use it as a midrange, but... I decided to use another (larger) driver instead.

I have a pair, used only for this testing, that I would be happy to sell you for half price...
hey you all,

i just set 3 fe 22 as main fullrange home speakers with a sub.
they are full range indeed but they have annoying heights distorsion in the range of 3000 to 7000 hz.
so i used in paralel a 20 ohm reistor, and 1 mH coil and put both in series with the driver.
this makes a gap in the range mentioned before and rises heights above 10000 hz.

I do not do frequency response but I have very sensitive ears...
I used as boxes regular pvc tube sch 80 and they point upwards.this gives me an amazing stage.
any thoughts?
Old 9th July 2018, 04:26 PM   #66
bknop is offline bknop  United States
diyAudio Member

The 3 inch neo magnet ones are good right out of the box, haven't tried the ceramic ones yet. I have treated the dust cap and cone neck with 25% elmers glue mixed with water to stiffen it up. The outer portions og the Cone I have treated with thinned modpodge. Damar varnish may be a good option too, but I haven't tried it on the fatials yet. Then of course enabl pattern applied on the cone.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:15 PM   #67
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

I am considering the following and need some opinion:
I want to use a 3FE22 and a 4FE32 in parallel, with baffle step being applied to the 4FE32. They will be used from 200Hz and up, no tweeter. Will this work or would I be better off just using two 3FE22 drivers in parallel (baffle step on one of them)?

Thank,
Deon

PS. I might add a tweeter later on, but right now it is not really an option.

Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?Hide this!Advertise here!