Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

If not clear, the first builder was very happy with the 10P in this design ;)

If I could juggle the floor space, I'd most likely replace the Pensil7 in my HT rig - but then I'd need to build a center channel, and maybe change the equipment stand.

and the 42" screen is looking a little small these days

As the FH3 seemed to very well accommodate a wide range of 3-4" drivers - some requiring adjustment in damping levels, I'd not be surprised if the same applied to the XLs. Of course the driver's native characteristics will still predominate, and if you tend to prefer the sound of paper, or drivers without whizzers &/or phase plugs, the list could be short ..... ;)

Video of what, exactly? I just don't get what they prove, other than what the finished assembly looks like in situ, and in 360 view, and perhaps how much excursion the builder/owner is willing to punish them with, which I then listen to on my iPad, or even desktop 'puter with maybe a 3" fullrange driver and 10watt Triparh amp? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I own two such systems, as well as a couple of others ;))

Last edited:
Well you get a nice first impression of the actual thing and of its sound. You do not get precise sound forms, but dominant character should be able to pass through.
For example the Fostex dominant mid-high is present in all relevant youtube videos. In a FH3 vid you get to see how big the sound gets. Not to mention a first impression of the highs which can be really problematic in full range speakers. A more "retro" high frequency character should pass through easily.
These were just examples.
You do not have to hear perfect sound waves from them to get a first impression of their character.
Oh and I use IEM earphones directly on my soundcard (which can drive them properly) :)

Sorry, I just think that the only way to tell what a particular system sounds like is to be in the room they're actually playing in, and as for head / earphones - I've owned/ listened to at least 2 or 3 dozen pairs in the past 40yrs, and use them only under duress. But let's agree to disagree on all of this

And mine is also....

#5 should be ready by tomorrow, unless JLN gets his one done sooner, or another dark horse emerges... :)

Hi all!

Mine is a little delayed (for the "old" 10.2) - caused by health-issues and family who want some easter-holiday down in Bremen!!:confused:

And though I was getting toward the last phase - glueing and getting the finihing touch - I must obey.

But they will be ready end of April or early May - if healt aint an issue by that time!!!

Best

Olav

Optimum for A10p or A10.3. Other A10s work. Other drivers -- if the FH3 is any indication, quite likely.

dave

Sorry, I was asking if we were counting the number of XL builds being for 10P or both 10P and 10.3

I was surprised at the low number of builds especially given the number of FH3 builds out there (I imagine!). And wanted to be sure my FHXL build had been counted! Then I can put a serial number on them:)

Sorry, I just think that the only way to tell what a particular system sounds like is to be in the room they're actually playing in, and as for head / earphones - I've owned/ listened to at least 2 or 3 dozen pairs in the past 40yrs, and use them only under duress. But let's agree to disagree on all of this

I do not disagree with what you are saying. The problem is how to listen to the XL in person here in Greece :)
Anyway :)

Is there a roadmap for releasing the plans for subscription?