Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Elway is offline Elway  Denmark
diyAudio Member

This will be interesting. Been contemplating the mk3 forever, but worried whether they would play loud enough for me. The XL would play louder and go deeper, right? What other benefits can we expect?

Btw, a fee for the plans is quite fair. You must have spent many hours on this.
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:28 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
The XL would play louder and go deeper, right? What other benefits can we expect?
With the new A10s Mark has gone a long ways ro closing the gap to the things the A7.3 did better than the A10.2 -- much of the edge the A7.3 has requiring very good ancilliary gear to realize.

So if you can afford the extra cost (A10 is a bit pricier, and expect to use 2x the materials), and the larger size, the FHxl gives lower bass, greater dynamic potential, and higher efficiency at a small expense in top, DDR and midrange finesse (the last 2 requiring the front end kit to realize).

FHxl is likely a better single driver all-rounder than the FH3 with A7.3. Add a helper woofer all bets are off -- the bi-amped FAST we have with A7.3eN and 2 x SDX7eN is the best speaker we have done yet IMO.

dave
Old 24th November 2013, 01:14 PM   #13
ratbagp is offline ratbagp  United States
diyAudio Member

Are there any prospects of flat packs?

Last year I built a pair of FH3s for my daughter in Sydney while on a visit to Oz. I ordered the flat packs from the bloke in Geelong. Knowing the high cost of tools in Australia I bought a bunch of the inexpensive clamps on sale from Harbor Freight and took them along.

18" Ratchet Bar Clamp/Spreader

I was sort of hoping customs would want to inspect my bag.

ray
Old 24th November 2013, 01:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I suspect Dave will be offering them, assuming they fall within practical postage sizes / weights etc. At present nobody except myself, Dave & Chris have the plans, so I wouldn't anticipate possible flat-packs from other sources for a little while, especially since we'd need to sort out some sort of a royalty arrangement for the forum.
Old 24th November 2013, 04:49 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
practical postage sizes / weights
We would like to offer flat-paks, but staying within the maximum 1m packaged dimension is a challenge.

dave
Old 25th November 2013, 09:05 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

As for material break-out a pair of FHXLs would require 2 5x5 Baltic Birch, or approx 1 1/2 sheets of 4x8s for the cases.

I used 18mm for these guys, as the A10P is definitely capable of deeper and more prodigious LF response than the A7.3.

For veneering, depending on the figuring of selected species, and your concern as to grain matching / alignment, etc, you should just barely be able to squeeze them from a single 4x8, provided you paint out the rear mouth.
Old 26th November 2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Spica is offline Spica  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote-- "the bi-amped FAST we have with A7.3eN and 2 x SDX7eN is the best speaker we have done yet IMO "

Dave, that sounds very interesting. Any chance of more information on those?!
Not fair leaving us dangling without more details!!
Old 26th November 2013, 12:23 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A7/3eN in a mid-TL, 2 SDX7eN in parallel in sealed cabinet. Wide, shallow cabinet*. 160 Hz 1st order PLLXO.

*(part of the effort was to allow Chris to try out some new (to him) cabinet crafting techniques -- as built they are not for the faint of heart, but the basic design could be considerably simplified for a much easier build)

Unfortunately we have yet to find a new woofer we like as much as the SDX7.

dave
Old 26th November 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default FH "Family portrait"

from left to right

FHXL with Alpair A10PeN, FH3 / removable SB kit and MAOP7 (yes, no polka dots on these), and Pensil7.2eN

Click the image to open in full size.

glad I don't have to choose
Old 26th November 2013, 09:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Looking very nice What veneer on the FHXL please?

Hide this!Advertise here!