Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2017, 01:03 PM   #851
kevner1954 is offline kevner1954  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll comment on the XL's one more time, this is in my modest 9x13' room. With my Cathodyne 807 amp and oppo103 CD player , you will not find better sound, these speakers in my room with this particular equipment is just mind boggling, from top to bottom, just stunning with these 63 year old ears, totally worth the effort!!!
Old 25th September 2017, 06:42 PM   #852
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

kevner1954,

Good to know that you are enjoying your system, and the effort that went into building the FHXL has been well worthwhile.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:23 AM   #853
akmr is offline akmr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi! I have a pair of a good old Fostex 166E-SR and looking for best type speakers to use. I stopped on FXL. Can I expect a good result? Need FXL plans to be modifided in dementions to match those speakers? I'm good in carpentry rathe then in acustic scince. FXL will be in "tiger" oak.
Thanks for answers to newcomer
Old 6th November 2017, 05:40 AM   #854
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE166En & FE168eS have been reported to work in FHXL. You will need corner loading and minimal damping to get bass.

You might have a look at Woden Victor… we have heard FE166eSR in it and that combo certainly works.

dave
Old 6th November 2017, 09:03 AM   #855
akmr is offline akmr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Dave! I'd like to get drawings. Should I buy it throught donation ? Ore somthing else?
Old 8th December 2017, 12:43 AM   #856
yoaudio is offline yoaudio  United States
diyoAudio Member
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Plans cost a minimum $10 donation to diyAudio (just send me a copy of your PayPal receipt). Drawn for butt joints.

dave

akmr - This is how to get plans.
I just e-mailed Dave my donation receipt for a copy also.
Old 15th January 2018, 02:06 PM   #857
diyAudio Member

Well Happy New year and what I've never done was finish my XL's off , because sounding so good, am afraid to even move them. Not a big fan of the speakers having to be pretty. On a question about the drivers I noticed the MA10.3 is capable of bass into the 38hz region ? and the paper cone I'm using only to 42hz. a big deal ? worth the 800 hours to break them in ? will the 10.3 give a more extended high frequencies? anyway hope everything is well with Dave in this new year. I think its important to keep this thread going. Still very impressed by this speaker. have not heard too much from other builders of the XL's. no news is good news?????
Old 15th January 2018, 02:17 PM   #858
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Happy New Year kevner1954, and good to know that you are enjoying the FH-XL speakers. I've heard the FH-XL with both Alpair 10.3 and Alpair 10P - to my ears the Alpair 10.3 treble presentation is a bit hotter vs the Alpair 10P, whereas the A10P mids are a just bit more pronounced - so it is a matter of preference (and content maybe) on which one the listener will prefer. Difficult to really point out differences in lower frequencies, as the cabinet (and room) will come into play and the driver Fs will not be the only factor there.
Old 15th January 2018, 04:05 PM   #859
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Kevin - I'd certainly agree with Zia's assessment of the metals being a bit "hotter" in the top several octaves than the papers, and that there's more than a modicum of subjectivity to the question of "which is 'better'?" .

If you're not asking the XLs to do the heaviest lifting in the bottom, the less than 5Hz difference between the two drivers might well be moot. I currently happen to be running a combination of 10.3 ( L&R)and 10P (Centre) in my 7.1 system, and there are times in which I'm not sure if metals across the whole front row wouldn't make for more consistent voicing, but I guess that's not really what you asked.

When we first had the opportunity to A/B the two A10 models - several years ago now, and both in FHXL as detailed earlier in this thread - my initial preference was for the paper. However, after the extended break-in I find it's much more of a "Chardonnay, or Pinot Grigio?" question - they're both worth the tipple.
Old 15th January 2018, 05:30 PM   #860
diyAudio Member

so a little more of the edge on things like cymbals and brass. and most important How is Dave doing

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!