Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2017, 09:00 PM   #841
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
you should know that Dave's drawing is for only one side panel.
Cut plans as requested here the most commonly requested drawings have all the parts. The side plan is seperate and needed if you want to do dados, most Frugel-horns are built with butt joints.

dave
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:19 AM   #842
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Right - I was thinking of Pages 5 & 6 - as you know, I draw my own version of the series starting on Page 10 to include dadoes, which of course makes the internal and front panels wider - perhaps enough so that the tooling diameter might force one row of rectangular panels off the sheet . That's why I'd cut all those out first on beam saw, and leave a blank slab for the sides. Even with a really sharp bit and low feed rate, a CNC leaves a rougher cut on edges of plywood than a beam or sliding saw with scoring blade.

Except for the first prototypes of each model, all the FrugelHorns I've built, or cut parts for include dadoes - I think most kit builders have found it makes for very easy assembly.

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd August 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:23 AM   #843
JoeyGS is offline JoeyGS  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi
Would like your assistance where I can find the info on the sound propagation for the fhxl/10.3 speaker so I can determine the best placement of the sitting position vertically and horizontally.

I noticed in my current fhxl/10.3 set-up that in order for me to hear the full bass output, I need to be 6inches higher than my lazy boy. My fhxl box has an outrigger plus spikes and approximately raised by 2.5 inches from the floor.

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 03:04 PM   #844
BackinBlack is offline BackinBlack  England
diyAudio Member

As this is bass related it is more likely the effect of room modes rather than the driver dispersion pattern. Lower (bass) frequencies set up standing waves in your room, as you move around your room you will notice that the appparent bass levels vary.
The solution will be to re-arrange the positions of either the speakers, furniture or listening. Room acoustics have more impact on perceived sound than any other part of your system.
The following website may help in understanding room modes: http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm
Old 2nd August 2017, 06:51 PM   #845
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What BackInBlack said.

If your issue is one of sitting in a vertical null, you might be able to move it a bit with the vertical placement of the speakers.Try taking the spike soff and see if the null moves?

dave
Old 4th August 2017, 10:33 AM   #846
JoeyGS is offline JoeyGS  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave and BIB

Dave, I will try your suggestion. But also, I encountered in one of the posts a diagram on how sound is projected by the fhxl because one of the members ask about changing the way the speaker stands since the front of the bafffle is tilted. And I can't seem to find that digram along with the responses that followed it.

BIB, it also happens that when I move further back into the room, I get better bass response than at the supposedly sweet spot sitting area.
Old 4th August 2017, 10:24 PM   #847
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Well, the sweet spot is where things sound sweetest, and I think can vary from what simple spreadsheets or cocktail napkin figuring might predict when using speakers such as full blown dipole / bipoles, or those with a major portion of their output from a rear horn mouth, such as is the case with the FH3 & FHXL.

The 5dg tilt of the front baffle is certainly likely to affect response in the vertical axis at higher frequencies, but at anything below 300Hz or so, I can't imagine would change the modal distribution all that much - but then remember, in over 50yrs of listening, and almost 20yrs of building, I've never done any in room measurements.
Old 25th August 2017, 09:55 PM   #848
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
My intention is to release one of my miniOnken centre channels for free use with the frugel-horns.
Here are some small centre channels suitable for use with FHXL.

Alpair 10.2: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloa...lan-060412.pdf
Alpair 10.3: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloa...reA-271114.pdf
Alpair 10p:http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloa...lan-110514.pdf

Fostex FF165wk is yet to be done.

If you need another size or shape you will need to subscribe to the paid planset.

dave
Old 25th August 2017, 10:27 PM   #849
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

FWIW, my current personal unit is a slightly modified version (5dg angle to front panel) of the 3rd design linked above. I/m happy enough with it that it's been in the system for at least a year? - no, the photo time stamp says 3
Old 27th August 2017, 01:17 AM   #850
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Awesome! Thank you for posting these plans, Dave!

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!