Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2018, 09:56 PM   #1001
paul burchell is online now paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

Eric if formbys says so well giver.

I remember varnish cans telling us"do not us over shellac" i guess they should have said do not use over a thick layer of shellac with wax in it.
What they did not say was there is no better sealer coat under your varnish than shellac and it sands way better.
I so hate decptive marketing.

I dont get the point or benefit of using raw oil unless you plan on putting a traditional oil finish or oil &wax mix.
Most of my finishes are a blend of more basic ingredents (boiled oil, varnish, varsol a variety of shellacs and waxes).

Chris i have never uses that before they do have a variety of products, i will have to keep a eye out for them when in the bbox stores. My wife is always looking for better cleaners and polishes for the cupboards and floors.
Old 14th May 2018, 10:00 PM   #1002
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Paul - Home Hardware / Windsor plywood hereabouts
Old 14th May 2018, 10:06 PM   #1003
paul burchell is online now paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

Home of the handyman.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:29 AM   #1004
Nikodemuzz is offline Nikodemuzz  Finland
diyAudio Member

I just realized I made a rather dumb mistake. The construction of my cabinets differs from the original plans in the way the front baffle is attached. In order to keep the inner dimensions the same I should have taken into account the different method of construction. I have this in my notes but, alas, it was never done. So, the inner chamber is too large by 18mm. Unfortunately at this stage I can't think of any easy (or even moderately difficult) way to fix it. How significantly can this affect the performance of the speakers?
Old 12th June 2018, 11:22 PM   #1005
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikodemuzz View Post
So, the inner chamber is too large by 18mm. Unfortunately at this stage I can't think of any easy (or even moderately difficult) way to fix it.
Are these 18mm side to side or top to bottom?
Old 12th June 2018, 11:45 PM   #1006
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Question regarding cabinetry:

If one doesn't want to pop screws or nails through the sides of the cabinets, would just glue hold the cabinet together with butt joints? Asking form a rigidity point of view, of course.
I'm planning to use already veneered plywood that's why I ask.
I assume I could dado the panels if needed, but really would prefer not to go through that trouble. If butt joints without fasteners is not recommended, would biscuit joint be a good compromise?

And question about acoustics:

Would it be damaging in any way to apply vinyl fabric (Pleather for example) to the front of the speaker cabinet . I've seen a commercial version of the FH with this kind of work and found it beautiful. However, I am concerned if in the DIY version that relatively padded material would be deleterious to performance in any way.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by GASCo; 12th June 2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12th June 2018, 11:51 PM   #1007
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If one doesn't want to pop screws or nails through the sides of the cabinets, would just glue hold the cabinet together with butt joints?
Yes, as long as you use good glue. I have even seen arguments that say screws degrade the strength.

dave
Old 13th June 2018, 09:12 AM   #1008
Nikodemuzz is offline Nikodemuzz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASCo View Post
Are these 18mm side to side or top to bottom?
Thanks for the reply! Actually, never mind. I double checked and the dimensions are just what they should be, so the problem was in my head... Sorry, I must seem like a proper fool, but I do manage to confuse myself every now and then...

I removed a bunch of foam filling from the cabinets. If I recall I originally put 60g of foam to each speaker, and now I reduced it to 20g, expecting that I would have to put some back. It had a profound impact on the sound, in a very positive sense. The tin-canny effect I was describing earlier was eliminated to a large degree. What brightness is left is characteristic I'm sure. The soundstage opened up very nicely.

As to Paul's comment regarding using pure tung oil, at least in this case it makes a big difference in accentuating the grain. The effect is very pronounced compared to any other oil or wax I tried. Shellac I then use to provide a protective layer, and some shine.

I proceeded to apply the shellac now, and consider the speakers complete. I'll add a few photos to show the end result. There is a bonus photo of my phono stage, I made a new case for it from the scraps of this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180605_194721.jpg (578.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180605_191558.jpg (472.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180605_191616.jpg (497.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180605_194732.jpg (490.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 13th June 2018, 11:46 AM   #1009
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Nikodemuzz,

Great job with the speakers and nice setup you got there.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:01 PM   #1010
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Lovely build. :^)

dave

Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, moreHide this!Advertise here!