Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2017, 08:51 PM   #721
diyAudio Member

got my side pieces all cut and laid out on the one side the whole speaker found that the internal board and back board are about 3 to 4 mm to long using all 18mm 13ply marine grade no void plywood. Checked my layout 3x. don't know how to send a pic or I would
Old 10th March 2017, 09:11 PM   #722
diyAudio Member

Better long than short , is that the answer?
Old 11th March 2017, 05:16 AM   #723
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Depends on the question and application? Sometimes long is wrong - I could get smutty, but let's not ...
Probably the important thing with any of the Frugal Horns would be to ensure the dimension of the choke point is maintained per the design. An 1/8" probably wouldn't make much difference at the top fold, but might at the lower point. Dr Scott could pipe in any time on that subject.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:36 AM   #724
diyAudio Member

Actually Chris this is the second time I'm building these and I got complaints from him (a friend of 50+ years)( he bought the MA 10 P drivers for both of us), that there were pieces that were long and now I'm getting the same measurement having to do with the 3 3/4 inch, 95.3 mm space of the internal board all around at the top and the 1 3/4 inch 44.5 mm port, holding the190.5 mm front to internal board from the bottom of the cabinet. Should I hold the measurement of the internal board 787.9mm and make the top gap shorter or cut it down to where I get the 95.3 gap from top of internal board to inside top of cabinet ? thank you Hope Dave is doing better, I know he is family to you all
Old 12th March 2017, 03:25 AM   #725
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

kev, I wish I was in a position to check my own CAD drawings from which the CNC program for flat pack kits for these were run against Dave's Vectorworks CAD files, and the PDFs in the official plan set to explain this discrepancy- but , well, it's this thing about Maui time

To be honest, I've built so many pairs of all 3 models of Frugals, and literally scores of others from Dave and Scott' design catalogs that I can't possibly remember errors on any individual drawing, if that was indeed the source of the problem. I'll admit to more than a few cutting errors myself, even after triple checking the plans - I'll catch those on the dry fit of course.
Old 12th March 2017, 09:45 AM   #726
diyAudio Member

Thanks for getting back to me Chris. I'll make sure I hold the port measurement, no CNC here, its CBH (cut by hand) but still trying to build a Rolex , not a Timex. this plywood isn't cheap! A lot of work filling in for David. Thanks again
Old 17th March 2017, 03:30 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Got both mark audio 10 drivers so will have to experiment I see the the metal goes down to 38. Hz while paper is 42 , but there is a sacrifice of 2 db in sensitivity with the metal. Heard the first pair built for my buddy clamped, one side left unglued , sounded tremendous with the Cathodyne 807 as well with Decware, and transcendent OTL amps. Looking forward to getting my pair done, getting close, thanks!
Old 17th March 2017, 03:37 PM   #728
hajj is online now hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Keep the reviews coming
Old 18th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Also using an oppo cdp103 which I find above and beyond its price cat 5 speaker wiresingl strand per
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:58 AM   #730
JoeyGS is offline JoeyGS  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Just remember to provide adequate running hours before making comparisons.

My Alpair 10M is getting better bass when I reached the 600 hour mark and still improving. 800 hours is the magic number for the 10M

Hide this!Advertise here!