Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Tubes need food

The amps are two stage, 12BH7A drives a 45. They are cap coupled with fixed bias. I use a grid choke. The big separate power supplies are overkill but the goal was low DCR and by gum it’s very low. Each tube has its own DC regulator so it’s silent. Beautiful blackness and surprising speed, that’s what the XLs are great at, fast and dynamic, no blurry edges. I always just thought the XLs would need more that two Watts. They Don’t!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
6.5-inch-full-range-Hi-Fi-speaker-exquisite-design-M6-1.jpg

Probably. High qt likely means lots of damping needed below the driver. High Vas might make it more suitable to Joan.

dave

Is that a Lii audio driver...ooo i think it is...lately they are getting lots of attention from different parts of the world. Any idea how do they sound?

It is Lii Audio. I haven't found much if anything about the M6, more info on their 8" and 10" full range models.

If they would drop in with some mods I would be interested, but at roughly the same price point as the 10p I would not expect them to be a significant upgrade if they are better at all. They are lookers though!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The pictures look good, the differences look most like differences in face veneers, which are to the largest extent cosmetic.

As expected teh dimensions are actually metric (4 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm, 16 mm, 18 mm, 22 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm, 40 mm), FHXL can be made from 16 and a thicker baffle (18/22), or all using the thicker stuff.

This page: Commercial Plywood Sheets | Manufacturer | Kerala | Boards India

dave