Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

BTW, what amp had the meltdown?

jeff

It was one of two "LPUHP" Wire designs, by Owen. I had finished their build yesterday, and given them a quick trial run on my now defunct test speaker. Owen thinks it's probably due to my not using a ground between my DAC and it (both balanced); most likely one of the input op amps got fried by a transient when I was plugging and unplugging things. I will get this sorted out, and plan to use these amps—this was a very nice pairing!

I had a somewhat similar experience with a shorted DC rail supply on a Mini-Aleph design a few years (10?) back -I could literally see the voice coils glowing behind the dust caps of Fostex FE127s, or at least a few seconds - seemed longer, somehow. :eek:

Very trepidatious about "firing" it up after the repair ;)

Lucky this time

The Alpair seems to have survived okay! The only way I could think of testing it was to switch to mono, and listen for awhile. Everything comes from dead center, and is stabile, so once I've replaced the input op amps (and I've already soldered in the grounds to the differential outputs and inputs, so hopefully this will not happen again) I'll be back in business.

Hi guys. My first post so please be gentle with me.
I am looking at a pair of Frugel Horns, but spotted the XL version. What is the minimum size room you would recommend for the XL?

My room is 5.4m (17.7 ft) x 3.4m (11.2 ft) with a pent roof. It's a mezzanine floor, open at one end and extends to 7.2m (23.5 ft).

I tend to listen across the shorter axis of the room, so I am thinking that the FH3 will be better? I can easily reconfigure my room to listen lengthways.

Which would you opt for?

I'd go for the FH3 for a "normal" room that size ( i.e 2.4m / 8ft ceiling) - but the total cubic volume into which the speakers will be operating might benefit from the larger XL
The more important question would probably be - which driver?

If your budget can afford it, and you have sufficient power (I like at least 15W in this case, although the NP designed ACA does nicely at lower SPLs), I'd heartily recommend the Alpair7.3 for the FH3, or Alpair10.3 for the XL .

one question - i have been searching around and am tossing up between the FH and FHXL. the thing is, my small room is 8 x 12 with an 8' ceiling, and my even smaller amp is a little 2w 2A3 SET. i listen to everything from boards of canada to folk to field recordings to classic to jazz to the sound of the rain trickling down the window panes, but detail and coherence over raw power (of course both would be great....)
any suggestions as to FH or FHXL suitability? efficiency is key, i am thinking.... bass would be nice though....
in thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Small room, but FHXL with FF165wk might fit the bill, some 3dB more than A10p, It is different, but in the same league…

I'm extrapolating, soom i will have the FF165wk (downstairs) in the FHXL built for them (on the deck)

In such a small room the FHXL will be big, but a better combo than the FH3 with FE126. It will do more bass at the sacrifice of a dB to the FH3.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Back when Bernie had a 2A3 set we often used it with A7 and EL70, both in the low 80s efficiency wize… it would strain a bit if you turned it up but i have a pretty big room (~250 m^3)

The A10p or more efficient FF165wk should be fine unless you are a head-banger. Given you have FF165 maybe build FHXL with supraBaffle and start there. You can swap in A10p later.

dave

I find the HF of the 10.3, as with the 7.3, to be amongst the best I have heard and certainly better than any Fostex I have had. Recently sold my Fostex FE208EZ/T90a speakers as I prefer the MA drivers now.

Frostex never impressed me, so I stayed with 2-way speakers (Air-Motion & Excel). But MA, Tangband & Dayton convinced me. Today I'm a fanatic fullranger. I must puke when I listen to multi-drivers, they sound soooo wrong.

FullRanger-shield-FR125.gif