time for something new

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I've been reading this forum for some time and it is time to ask some questions. 4 years ago l did some box on MA CHR70, firstly it was 12liters closed recently I've added baffle step correction and turned it into vented system (tuning freq ~70Hz). It is nice but it is time to build something new. My questions is what do you recommend to buy to pay no more than 250euros for pair of full ranges or maybe it is better to get FAST system but for how long will my old CHR70 work ? Thanks for all suggestions.
Witek

Attachments

• IMG_20131119_215426.jpg
    IMG_20131119_215426.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 124
Well, the CHRs should have an operating life before wear & tear significantly affects behaviour of >10,000 hours (being pessimistic), or rather more than a year played 24/7. Providing you haven't flogged the living daylights out of them of course.

Anyway, as for possible replacements, since you evidently like your CHRs, then you could do worse than the current version, or the Alpair 7. Slightly larger, you should be able to get the Alpair 10s, metal or paper, in-budget, or thereabouts.

Shifting to a 2-way (I loath the FAST moniker with a passion -why, I wonder, have subwoofers suddenly become 'technology', whereas other drive units have not?) can bring some gains, but you'll need to factor the cost of the crossover components, or an active filter + additional amplifiers as well as the drivers into the equation. You could probably do it via shopping around but it depends where your priorities lie / what it is you are hoping to achieve.

Thanks for reply, I currently consider my chr at top in open baffle for mids and high and something like 20-30 liters tower vented or closed with 6-7 in woofer, do you have any suggestions which woofer to consider? Something from monacor or hds peerless, which is good match for chr70. Another question can you tell me if it is worth to change to 3rd gen of chr currently I've got 2nd one and I like it but those are not so expensive so maybe it is worth to get new one ?

If you changed your top, then I'd go for something smaller than the CHR70. Like FF85wk or Alpair 6M/P. I did some testing on both the FF85wk and 6P. They're both good contenders for a FAST. But in your case, I'd play with a low end section first, then next time your bored, upgrade the top end. No need to change it all at once. But the CHR70 doesn't strike me a FAST driver. More of an entry level does it all pretty good kind of driver.

I like the Peerless HDS stuff. Even the SDS line up is really good value. Never looked at the monacor brand. All the peerless woofers I've heard have been top notch.

Update after long delay

Hi,

I finally decided to start doing upgrade for my CHR-70 based speakers. It will be CHR-70 gen2 at top and most probably http://www.stx.pl/uploads/images/WM.STX.6,5.1,5.180.8.F.A.FC.X.parametry.jpg at bottom which is Polish based company 6,5" drive. I wanted to do something like "test rig" for this design. Please give some feedback about my idea, is it worth trying, do you see any mistakes:
1: floor standing 8"x8"x35" (roughly, I am using meters)
2: full range to woofer center distance ~7"
3:eek:versized woofer box -~1ft3 while manufacturer recommends 0.6ft3 but I can always decrease volume - closed or vented
4: CHR70 in closed box 0.2ft3
Some questions to you guys:
-woofer comes as 4,8 or 16ohm version -CHR-70gen2 is ~4ohm so should I use 4ohm version, I think there will be needed some adjustment to match SPL level so maybe 8 ohm is better
-what do you think is good way to cross those to speakers, I was thinking about 500hz.

Thanks,
Witek

Attachments

• 2way.jpg
    2way.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 154
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You might find some useful info here if you want to try a FAST system. Buildmesomething uses Peerless woofers and we both use miniDSP and TPA3116D2 class D bi amps. The minDSP XO and EQ is about $100 and the amps are another $40 for 4 channels. Use a Faital Pro 4FE35 on top for another $50 or Vifa TC9FD for half that. Pick woofer of your choice. Can sound fantastic and much better chance of success the first time than passive XO's.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/249984-cheap-fast-ob-literally.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.