Full-range driver for OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Im about to build a open baffle with a 6.5inch Single driver.

What do you think about the specs that the 6.5inch have, the thing im concerned about is the peak in dbl at around 8000 to 20khz. Do you think the peak at 10-20khz affect perfomance or is annoying/able to detect?

Here is the SPL/Freq SPL - Ladda-upp.se

The driver have these specs:

QTS 0.696
SPL: 92dB
Vas: 27
Fo: 45
Revc: 5,600ohm
No: 0,493%
Qes: 0.896
Qms: 3.115

The 6.5 full range does have a whizzer and the cone is in paper and the frame is in cast.

The open baffle would be 40 to 60cm wide and about 1m/1,1m in height (please come with suggestions) and the driver will be mounted some centimetres off center on the baffle. The baffle will be in birch plywood 42mm in thickness, i will cover the baffle in suede leather.

If it goes down to 100-150hz in bass its okay, because i have a subwoofer then. The quite high qts with quite low fs/fo, and good effiency, should make it a good OB candidate with some bass?

If you make the baffle to approximately 50cm wide (19 inches) or more you should have bass to 200hz which will probably be enough to mate with your subwoofer. I found by simming any driver, regardless of Qts, that 19" was a good trade off between performance and baffle size. It's interesting to experiment with drivers on an open baffle but unless those drivers are large (15") they always sound thin and lacking in bass to me. Adding a sub does the trick as long as the main driver gets you low enough. Then you can enjoy the sound of OB without missing the bass.

Thanks for the answer,

I was also thinking about adding a single baffle to the others two with a 10" or 12inch woofer, the specs for the 10inch and 12inch is around 0.85 and 1.05 in qts and fs as 32 and 30fs. I was thinking about using TPA3116 2.1 amp that has sub out and that crosses around 100hz, then i dont need any crossover for the sub or the full ranges. Hopefully the 6.5 inch can go low enough to meet the single woofer thats has good qts, may go for the 12inch woofer with 1.05 qts so maybe that one alone makes upp god enogh bas on the open baffle.

I think the FR baffles will be 50cm then and 110 cm in height. And then one extra baffle in the middle with the 10 or 12 inch woofer. Do you think it will sound good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.