8" Hall of Fame - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2013, 05:33 PM   #61
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

interesting, the problem I have with whizzers is they really cloud up the mid range.
I can clean that up but putting a grain or two behind the whizzer which works great unless you get crazy with the volume and shake it out.

Since the classic doesn't have a whizzer I'll probably go with those.
That said I did just picked up a pair of Pioneer 8" with a whizzer so I'm anxious to see how they sound.
Old 17th November 2013, 07:46 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the charts Freddi. I love the Pioneer driver. My 15 year old son enjoys them every day. Don't you also have charts for the TB 1808 and the Beta 12lta too? I wonder if we can compare them all together?

As for the 12lta vs the TB 1808, I hooked up the 12lta and sat it on top of the same subwoofer and in the same spot as the 1808 to compare them. The 12lta is more efficient by far. I had to turn up the sub (both gain and frequency) to blend. It sounds great! This just reinforced how much I enjoy the 12lta. It's a wonderful driver. The sound is effortless and just sounds more alive than anything I've heard before.

Since the 12lta is on an open baffle and the 1808 is in a sealed box, my next comparison will be to put both drivers on an OB and compare. This will take a few weeks for me to build the baffles. I am not sure if I am smitten by the OB sound (or lack of sound) or the driver. At the moment, the victory goes to the 12lta.

The 12lta needs a good sub to keep up. The small Infinity is being pushed more than it was when mated with the 1808.

During my listening I noticed how realistic the piano and sax sounded on the 12lta. Also, you can really turn the volume up without any distortion. The driver is very efficient.

Sorry for the poor quality picture.

Zilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12lta-1808.jpg (206.9 KB, 269 views)
Old 18th November 2013, 03:12 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Audio Nirvana Super 10" is much better than Super 8" in everything
Old 19th November 2013, 10:41 AM   #64
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a friend who heard my AN10 stamped frame in a 70 liter/41H tuned (too low) reflex - he gestured to throw it out the window....

AN10 did sound good in the original Karlson K15 cabinet - that improved balance, and reduced cone excursion. A smaller K-coupler than K15 for 12LTA could be built and 12LTA has a pleasant tone in K12 but K12 is a bit small for the weak 12LTA motor.

re:12LTA - all I have without loading and testing is a comparison some years back between it and the first model B102 - just on-axis in the old EV Aristocrat
Click the image to open in full size.

here's another typical Eminence (coaxial) speaker with similar moving mass to 12LTA, larger diameter aluminum coil. Both have similar sensitivity - I think there's a subjective difference - maybe the motor is stronger on the one on the right -?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:38 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

motor is always small for Qts 0.5 and up ,no problem is a plus for OB!!

supravox 8" sound very sweet

Hide this!Advertise here!