Horn Soundbar ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current system is FR125s in 7l sealed cabinet. Crossed at 120Hz to 2 sealed 10" 50l subs (run as 2.1 using AV amp bass management).

I don't need that much SPL or bass from the soundbar,so instead of just doing the same thing again but a bit smaller, I thought I might try a horn design.

The problem is I don't have time to spare to do all the research so I'm hoping someone can say "yeah, an XYZ would work there" And tell me the driver and geometry to use. By geometry I just mean the cross sectional area at different distances along the path (unless the tightness of corners etc is important in which case ???)

The centreline path as drawn is 800mm and a depth of 200mm would give a 400cm2 opening as drawn. The size in plan of each half is 650wide with a rearward distance of 180mm at the narrow end and 340mm at the centreline. Maybe this is too small?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A 400cm^2 opening will support ~500Hz at best, from a horn-loading POV. Wanting to reach lower makes this more of a TQWT with no driver offset. I think this would suffer from too much colouration for a device that should at the very least get the midrange right. It might be best to stick with a more typical box design, sealed/aperiodic or vented, though the parameters I can glance for this driver have me lean towards the former for you application. Better stick with the simpler approach within the realm of all that could work IMO, even though the lure of exotism is always lurking. ;)

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.