Designs for Vifa TC9FD Full Range Paper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I realize this has been addressed in other threads, but if you have a link or recommendation for a design based on the VIFA TC9FD, would you mind providing a link?

I plan on building these as gifts for family members, and I would like something that has proven itself. Dimensions are very flexible.

Thank you.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is another Vifa TC9FD design.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-200.html#post3698230

381488d1384098777-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures-photo.jpg

It is not easy to find the vifa official site. Used to have a peerless and vifa co-site in well written english. But now search leads to at least 2 chinese sites. Looks the brand is sold to several speaker manufactuers. Wonder where Partexpress gets the vifa speakers from.

Not much mention of Vifa but you'll find most models here under the Peerless name:
Tymphany

Our Peerless Platinum line (formerly Vifa) offers high end solutions from our world-class China facility.

Full Range | Tymphany
It's on this page as a Peerless Silver model.

I guess Parts Express hangs on to the original Vifa name. This speaker model is known under at least two other designations in Europe. As far as I can tell, they are all the same.

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/vifa/vifa9BN1198.html

The specs are all over the place though. I think it is save to look at Tymphany for the data as they are the ones producing them. They do have a 4 ohm model, 8 ohm and 16 ohm with some remarkable differences.

Last edited:
Sorry - I'd like to have your opinion on something.

I was told, by someone who designed a speaker this way, that:

"4 of these drivers in a vertical array would have a nice response down to 80 hz in a vented box 15L with a vent 2" ID and 1" length. It would be 3-4 dp high near it's fs. I would place the port on the back in the center. Pad the back wall with dampening material.

If the cabinet was made 6.5"W x 18"H x 12 1/2"D the narrow baffle might help smooth the boosted low end.

crossover range would be 80-100 hz."

Here is my question, do you believe that as long as the total ft^3 of that cabinet remained the same, it would have same/similar properties?

In other words, if I were to make a four speaker array say, 6.5 (W), 36 (H) and 6.25 (D) it would result in the same/similar results as the 6.5"W x 18"H x 12 1/2"D dimensions?

Hi,

Building something for other people you do want
proven designs and TBH simple boring boxes.
4 driver arrays are already asking for trouble.

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy
(see if nothing else, the excellent FAQs)
Zaph|Audio

Are two of the best sites out there.

Zaph|Audio
Has measurements of the Vifa, Dec 2011

Zaph|Audio
Covers a lot of the issues regarding small FR's.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry - I'd like to have your opinion on something.

I was told, by someone who designed a speaker this way, that:

"4 of these drivers in a vertical array would have a nice response down to 80 hz in a vented box 15L with a vent 2" ID and 1" length. It would be 3-4 dp high near it's fs. I would place the port on the back in the center. Pad the back wall with dampening material.

If the cabinet was made 6.5"W x 18"H x 12 1/2"D the narrow baffle might help smooth the boosted low end.

crossover range would be 80-100 hz."

Here is my question, do you believe that as long as the total ft^3 of that cabinet remained the same, it would have same/similar properties?

In other words, if I were to make a four speaker array say, 6.5 (W), 36 (H) and 6.25 (D) it would result in the same/similar results as the 6.5"W x 18"H x 12 1/2"D dimensions?

If you are interested in a 4 driver bipole with the Vifa, it can be done but the cabinet is bigger. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/231951-accidental-mltl-technique-21.html#post3554621 This has not been built yet, but it should work.

359473d1373507125-accidental-mltl-technique-quad-tc9fd-bipole-mltl.jpg

XRK,

Thank you so very much. That was VERY generous.

All,

I have probably confused this thread a bit - so I'll clarify it a bit.

1. I will be making speakers and giving them as gifts to my sons, almost certainly one driver per enclosure. And, most likely, one of the first designs in this thread.
2. Parts Express has these at a reduced price, so I am thinking of playing with e few other designs for my house.

So, simple and proven for Tim and Scott, and maybe a little more daring for me.

Again, thank you - this (like Tech Talk) is a very generous and well intended community.

Oh, Parts Express is also coming out with a paper/composite versions of the RS series, including the RS100 -- just FYI.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.