No-Baffle Speaker Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wanting to build some no-baffle speakers more as an art/sculpture project than a speaker project. However, it would be nice if it still sounded descent. I would like to use a woofer and full-ranger of an undetermined size at this point for each side. I am not opposed to using just a full-range driver on its own or even having three speakers but I am thinking two drivers would probably give the best chances of descent sound, keep costs down and be easier to incorporate into a design.

I suspect you may be curious as to what the sculpture is. I have some small metal sculptures I purchased that are a musical trio. One is playing a stand up bass, another a trombone, and another a guitar. I would like to do something similar using either musicians or men at work. So each side would be a couple of these sculptures. Perhaps one speaker might incorporated into a trumpet, a woofer might be incorporated into a bass drum, a tweeter might be a mike. I will probably be using rebar and metal. The speakers may be suspended or perhaps a wood ring to insulate them from the metal.

You might be thinking at this point, this guy must really be bored; not really. It is just something I have thought about for a couple years or more so I would like to make it and move on. The weather is getting cold so a garage project would be nice.

I do not have real high expectations of this sounding awesome and I would like to keep costs low; under $100 bucks per side as a proof of concept more than a money pit. The woofer could probably go in a tube but the full range would probably be totally open with no baffle. I can design around the speaker sizes. The sculptures could be fairly large or fairly small depending on speakers.

If I am going to go to the effort I would like to maximize the chances of it being something I would like to listen to but have no idea what drivers to utilize.

I have looked at several cheap parts express drivers but honestly, I have not heard a single one. So, I turn to the community for thoughts, ideas, things that might be incorporated in the design that I have not thought about and driver recommendations. This could truly be a community project.

Attachments

• femaleSpeakerDesign.jpg
    femaleSpeakerDesign.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Design Speakers -- 398B98DB.jpg
    Design Speakers -- 398B98DB.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 340
  • munny-speakers.jpg
    munny-speakers.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 347
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Are you amenable to a omnidirectional speaker? It has no baffle and one can be made as a 12 sided dodecahedron - use a smaller inexpensive full range driver like a 2 in buyout from PE for $2 ea. Those sound very nice from reviews I have read. At 85dB when run as 12 in a parallel series combo should get some crazy efficiency for $24 ea. Another driver to be considered is the Visaton FRS5 but that driver 4c the price at $8ea.

An example here:

This guy uses a 3d printer but I see no reason why one couldn't be made quite easily with wood or even foam core.

http://m.instructables.com/id/A-Dodecahedron-Speaker-for-Desktop-Printers/?ALLSTEPS

120612_diy_dodecahedron_speaker_4.jpg

Last edited:
NB Speaker

Here is a no-baffle speaker I built some time back. They require a lot of filtering to equalize the output with a full range source.

I found that they work fine plugged into a clock radio headphone jack because the radio has a built in band pass filter. I was able to remove the inductors and run straight from headphone output.

They sound great on voice but can't be played loudly without a baffle.

The Rube Goldberg rat's nest of wiring and jumpers on the back was done intentionally for "geek" effect.

Good Luck with your project!

Attachments

• Infinite Cabinet Speaker1.jpg
    Infinite Cabinet Speaker1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Infinite Cabinet Speaker2.jpg
    Infinite Cabinet Speaker2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 110
Just look around for some bargains on speakers from the '70s with big woofers and...well, also some 3 way...fullranges from '80s and '90s from combos, usually 4", serve for good midrange. The trick is to grab a good crossover design to put them in service.
The only thing you might buy is a bigger choke for the woofer and resistors to match the outputs. Suspended sound nice...try rubber bands.

No. Well yes. Maybe?

Are you amenable to a omnidirectional speaker? It has no baffle and one can be made as a 12 sided dodecahedron - use a smaller inexpensive full range driver like a 2 in buyout from PE for $2 ea. Those sound very nice from reviews I have read. At 85dB when run as 12 in a parallel series combo should get some crazy efficiency for $24 ea. Another driver to be considered is the Visaton FRS5 but that driver 4c the price at $8ea.

An example here:

This guy uses a 3d printer but I see no reason why one couldn't be made quite easily with wood or even foam core.

A Dodecahedron Speaker for Desktop Printers

120612_diy_dodecahedron_speaker_4.jpg
I wasn't planning on it until I saw it. Hmm. Maybe after I get my head back from what I am thinking.

Goldberg Approved.

Here is a speaker I built some time back. They require a lot of filtering to equalize the output with a full range source.

I found that they work fine plugged into a clock radio headphone jack because the radio has a built in band pass filter. I was able to remove the inductors and run straight from headphone output.

They sound great on voice but can't be played loudly without a baffle.

The Rube Goldberg rat's nest of wiring and jumpers on the back was done intentionally for "geek" effect.

Good Luck with your project!

When I see stuff like this I am so glad I submitted the post. I wasn't really thinking of Steam Punk but hey, I was always kinda of a punk. Like the computer fan grills.

Several decades ago when I was a still a kid, a friend of mine worked in a auto junk yard. He got some speakers, a 12 volt power source, a good car radio and suspended the car speakers from springs. That think sounded darn good considering it was free from wrecked cars. Heck it just sounded good no matter where it came from.
I just want to build something funky. If it is really bad I can use it as rear channels.

I think i will try to pick up some old alnicos from ebay. I notice the smaller speakers go for relatively cheap compared to 8 inch and over. For OB or NB probably the smaller ones would work better anyway. Maybe i need to modify my idea to get some kind of baffle incorporated, even it is smallish it would help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.