Visaton B200 or Jantzen JA8008+Tw034 for OPEN BAFFLE speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please help me!
I am building an Open baffle speakers like these:

TAO of Tubes: Visaton B200/Eminence Alpha 15A speaker

and I have a choice to use JA8008 with tweeter or B200 full range speaker (This is what I can buy in Slovenia).
Woofer will be Eminence alpha 15.

Please suggest. I know that B200 has problems with rising frequency response.
But I assume that is more dedicated for OB (open baffle) than Jantzen 8008?

I will realy appriciate any suggestions and discussions...

Best regards,
Borut Pečar

i would just build gravesens OBL11.
OBL11

i have built a pair of B200/alpha 15A speakers, and while they sound nice for the price, they are not "high end".
the b200 sounds slightly fatiguing, even with a correction network, and the 15A a bit to unrefined.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i use the JA8008 together with a tweeter in my current open baffle speakers, and i think it sound really good.
217944d1379850168-byob-pen-baffel-dsc_0358.jpg

The Visaton isn't great, but its fun... That said, I'd try the OBL11 if that baffle shape is desired, and you are considering something three way. Even with phase plugs, I still find that there is a good deal of HF roll off off axis, and having toyed with mid and tweet drivers separately, I can say, I found it much more pleasing. Good luck with your choices.

May I ask you which woofer are you using in OB with JA8008/tweeter? And what are your baffle size. As far as I know, chosing speaker with low QTs results in demand of huge baffles, so I am thinking of using Eminence alpha instead of Eminence deltalite II 2515 and dimensions 65cmX75cm instead of 85x85 cmm as suggested by Troel. Do you think I will still have enough bass extention?

Best regards,
Borut

i would just build gravesens OBL11.
OBL11

i have built a pair of B200/alpha 15A speakers, and while they sound nice for the price, they are not "high end".
the b200 sounds slightly fatiguing, even with a correction network, and the 15A a bit to unrefined.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i use the JA8008 together with a tweeter in my current open baffle speakers, and i think it sound really good.
217944d1379850168-byob-pen-baffel-dsc_0358.jpg

How are things going with your OBL11 build? I started but had to use saba mid/tweets at the time due to financial constraints. I love my speakers but likely they would be better done as per Troels original design...still out at present as the tax man wants his pound of flesh!! I have however just ordered some BG Neo3 (None PDR - not too worried about wide dispersion) as I think the saba tweeters, whilst great for what they are, are the weakest point in my system at present. Let us know how you get on.

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.