Satori MW16P-4 as a full ranger?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The price for this 6 1/2" mid woofer has just fallen significantly and I have a pair on the way and am thinking it might make a good full range speaker given its high end response. Perhaps a super tweeter of some sort could be used but maybe not. In any event, if anyone wants to take on the challenge, what cabinet would maximize its use. A TL design, perhaps?

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John,

I saw your similar post over on the Tech Talk forum. You can likely find someone to do a design for you but this is loudspeaker DIY, i.e., you learn a lot more if you contribute something to the process as well.

The Satori woofers are very good drivers and will reward the designer with exceptional performance. But take a look at the data sheets (you can find them on the Madisound and Solen sites and perhaps other locations.) You will note that the on-axis performance looks good thru 4 kHz but starts to have peaks and dips over a 5 dB range above that point and then dips 10 dB between 15 and 20 kHz. But the off axis 30 degrees plot rolls off above 4-5 kHz. My point is that this driver needs a proper crossover network starting in the 3-4 kHz range for acceptable performance. A super tweeter as you suggest isn't adequate to attain the performance worthy of this woofer. You would be better off having someone design a crossover for you or learning enough to do your own network.

I've simulated the 8 ohms version of the Satori as a mass loaded transmission line and it performs very well in a straight 48" long high enclosure. You can expect 3 dB down low end performance into the mid to upper 20's Hz. As with most MLTL, more than about 10 watts input will drive the driver to its linear Xmax limits so your tube amp would be perfect with this speaker. I'm assuming that your 12 inches limit from the Queen is the width of the enclosure and this design would attain that goal and if you have to cut the height a bit , your trade would be raising the 3 dB down point. You can model this driver yourself if you purchase access to Martin J. King's Mathcad spread sheets.

Another option for your speaker is to purchase a kit that have instructions, crossover parts and the drivers you have not yet purchased. You will not learn as much but you will at least have a chance to achieve a speaker that you will be proud to own and have your sweat labor in building the enclosures.

Last edited:
John, if you r building your full range before the tweeter addition the Sumiko Blackbird might be a good upgrade to consider... :)
The driver requires about 25-29W of (RMS) power (BR) for a 7 Ohms input/excursion, so you r fine.
I am currently using a tube amp. EL34 PP putting out about 30W, so sensitivity is an issue. As for baffle size, WAF dictates nothing more than 12 inches will be allowed in the living room. Such is life.

John
[/URL]

Ok. I have been experimenting with the Satori by itself in a test cabinet and it sounds very good. It doesn't have the sparkle that my MA 7.3 Pensils have but it has much better bass. A further experiment saw me applying some sort of BSc with a 1.5mH inductor parallel with a ten ohm resistor and it sounds even better. Very smooth, mountains of good bass and very listenable. I am using a 30W tube amp and Sony XA3ES CD player. I will continue experimenting...

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.