Fullrange driver with good highs and decent bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My number one recommendation - Mark Audio Alpair 7A. Based on quality and extension of HF, midrange. This is a nominal 4" driver. There are likely to be 3" drivers that fit the bill too, like the Fostex FF85WK (not heard that one though). Also likely candidates from Fountek and Tang Band.

Well, budget is fluid, but I wan't to see what performance I can get for a modest sum of money. Volume-wise I never play loud. Probably somewhere 90-95 dB-ish at the most. They will not have to play sub 160-200 hz.

I want to have them play in an open baffle, sorry for not being specific.

Oh, OB is a whole other ball game. I personally don't think Full range can do OB the right way. Most OB experts will say a 4 way is the minimum required to do it right. Search open baffle dipole peak. And 200hz is gonna take a wide baffle or a very high excursion driver. No recommendation.

I'd agree with Ryan on that one - while many FR will "work" on OBs, (as in make some sound) you might want to consider something more substantial than a 70mm lightweight metal cone to expect any durability - Fostex FF165WK, Alpair 10P, TangBand W5-1611, or for more coin the W8-1772

As I've yet to hear one I could live with - some sounded quite colored, but mostly due to the required size of baffle and the need for bass reinforcement that's not always as easy or cheap to integrate as one might hope - I have to ask, any particular reason why OB?

Oh, OB is a whole other ball game. I personally don't think Full range can do OB the right way. Most OB experts will say a 4 way is the minimum required to do it right. Search open baffle dipole peak. And 200hz is gonna take a wide baffle or a very high excursion driver. No recommendation.

I am thinking of a narrow baffle up top and then using slot-loading/U- H-baffle/ or similar concept to make a narrow performing bass unit down below.

I will also use active X-over (Minidsp) to make it sound good.

I am thinking of a narrow baffle up top and then using slot-loading/U- H-baffle/ or similar concept to make a narrow performing bass unit down below.

I will also use active X-over (Minidsp) to make it sound good.

After researching and calculating further I have decided to go with a single-driver enclosed-construction instead with a widebander.

Thank you for your feedback!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.