alpair 10.2 amplifier suitability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i tried alpair 10.2 in M10A10 boxes with 25W T-amp (can expect 6-7W of clean power) and high power NAD amp (60W). despite of NAD power amp being more powerful with better damping factor, i enjoyed t-amp more! T-amp was crispy with balanced lows and highs, while with NAD, bass sounded overpowering mids and highs.
anybody had similar experience?

T-amps are great, but I think UCD is even better. Guess NAD you tried is basic one, while resolution and bass control on "proper" Class-D amps are excellent. I've heard some mid-line NADs on my previous speakers (XT25TG tweeters) and they clearly lack resoulution in comparison with UCD. Currently I'm quite happy with Alpair 7.3 Pensils powered with UCD180.

The 10.2 is renowned for its bass, and particularly so in Brine's M10A10 - so it may not be so much a matter of the NAD being "fat"

If you like the speed and transparency of the T-amp it couldn't hurt to try a 12-15W tube amp - EL84P/P pentode for example. Of course if you think you could survive on lower volume levels, a 2A3 or EL34/6CA7 SE could be very enlightening

I agree UCD looks like overkill but of course it's chosen not for it's power. But for solid state amps with harsh clipping some extra power is required to keep speakers from damage, especially such delicate ones.

Anyway I think one day I'll try tubes too just of curiosity at least.

Yuri - as George Anderson might say "there ain't no such thing as (power) overkill" ;) - but then he's probably half deaf by now from playing loud his -self :)

I haven't heard a UCD / Ncore amp, so maybe I've just not had my world rocked properly yet (of course that'd only be until the next big thing comes along - hopefully my ears will still work well enough by then :D)

T-amps are great, but I think UCD is even better. Guess NAD you tried is basic one, while resolution and bass control on "proper" Class-D amps are excellent. I've heard some mid-line NADs on my previous speakers (XT25TG tweeters) and they clearly lack resoulution in comparison with UCD. Currently I'm quite happy with Alpair 7.3 Pensils powered with UCD180.

if the secret is class D then i came across higher power (2 x 50W @ 8ohm) T-amps as one below,
SMSL SA 80 80W 2 Tripath TA2022 Top HiFi Big Power Digital Amplifier | eBay

The 10.2 is renowned for its bass, and particularly so in Brine's M10A10 - so it may not be so much a matter of the NAD being "fat"

If you like the speed and transparency of the T-amp it couldn't hurt to try a 12-15W tube amp - EL84P/P pentode for example. Of course if you think you could survive on lower volume levels, a 2A3 or EL34/6CA7 SE could be very enlightening

i think a tube pre with classD amp would be simpler and cost effective alternate to having an all tube high power amp. also in this combo, no need to 'survive on lower volume levels' :)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
i think a tube pre with classD amp would be simpler and cost effective alternate to having an all tube high power amp. also in this combo, no need to 'survive on lower volume levels' :)

I would recommend a TPA-based amplifier over the Tripath. These are *very* good sounding amps. The TBI Millenia is a TPA amp and There are different versions available if you search ebay. I would advise against the TA2022, I've read it is the least impressive of the Tripath.

Last edited:
I would recommend a TPA-based amplifier over the Tripath. These are *very* good sounding amps. The TBI Millenia is a TPA amp and There are different versions available if you search ebay. I would advise against the TA2022, I've read it is the least impressive of the Tripath.

the discussion seems to change to 'TPA vs T-amp' :rolleyes:
anybody else vote for TPA over T-amp!?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
the discussion seems to change to 'TPA vs T-amp' :rolleyes:
anybody else vote for TPA over T-amp!?

Just a suggestion, not a contest. I've heard TPA, Tripath, IR2092, tube, solid state. Is it the best amp ever? No, but it IS audiophile quality. If you want to get an idea of the TPA sound quality amongst other audiophiles , including some full range owners, you can read about the TBI Millenia here which uses the TPA3100D2. The ebay options won't be as well made as the TBI but they also cost 1/10th the price.

If you want to stick with Tripath then get an Hifimediy.com amp - the designers are from diyaudio and the build quality is very high.

Or build a tube amp. Regardless, enjoy whatever amp you choose.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, not a contest. I've heard TPA, Tripath, IR2092, tube, solid state. Is it the best amp ever? No, but it IS audiophile quality. If you want to get an idea of the TPA sound quality amongst other audiophiles , including some full range owners, you can read about the TBI Millenia here which uses the TPA3100D2. The ebay options won't be as well made as the TBI but they also cost 1/10th the price.

If you want to stick with Tripath then get an Hifimediy.com amp - the designers are from diyaudio and the build quality is very high.

Or build a tube amp. Regardless, enjoy whatever amp you choose.

TPA3100D2 is specified at 20W max, while TBI millenia MG3 (as per the review) can put out 32W at 24V. so i guess this one uses higher power TPA chip like TPA3116

I stopped reading the TBI Millenia thread right after the OP said that changing the input from 1/8" to terminals increased the SQ 30%. I did read the linked review. I'd like to hear one. I think I might pick up the SMSL SA-50 and see what the TDA7492 chip sounds like. If it is noticeably better than TA2022, I'll look in to a nicer implementation.

Bob

Agree on TPA over Tripath. There are some last gen TPA3116-based boards on ebay, more power and said sounds better than 3100. Did not heard personally yet, ordered two - hard to resist for $20 )) - for kitchen etc but haven't received yet.

Said that I beleive UCD are way above them all, they are not even sound great, they measure great too ) TPA THD charts are not that promising.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Even better place to start: here. It's $10. That's it. No excuse not to try it. It's a lower power TPA (not TDA, which is from a different company) chip.

I know it's kind of pointless to even mention it because people have their biases, but again it's $10 and plenty of power for a full ranger. You will not be disappointed. These are not like Tripath, they don't have that analytical edge. I personally think they are more akin to tubes than say solid state with an outstanding midrange quality and I'm pretty sure lower noise as well. I'd be very curious to know how they rate w/ MA drivers.

Last edited:
Hmm gotta try these too, design matters, thanks. I'm about to order a lot of stuff from them anyway and still have same places to put an amp and a pair of boxes with say CHR-70 ) Pity they don't have volume pot like these TPA3116 boards.

Apologize to OP for hijacking the thread ))).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.