First Experience Hi Efficiency Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
dklk is offline dklk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First Experience Hi Efficiency Speakers

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum but not new to audio as a hobby. I have acquired a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8 drivers and I want to build my first cabinet. I have a problem that I have limited space and need a stand mount or small tower. I have read enough to know these speakers like big cabinets. Is there a cabinet size that is a compromise and can still get good bass? Thanks for any and all replies........
Old 19th October 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

What is your max floor size footprint? What is max height you are willing to live with?
Old 19th October 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The max height would be 32" in h 11"x11" for a floor standing and 24" h x 12"w x11"d for a stand mount.....
Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 09:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Super 8 and 'bass' are two terms that sit rather uneasily together; irrespective of the claims on the CSA site, these drivers as-is, from the advertised spec., are not ideal for reflex loading if you want much in the way of LF extension since they are not exempt from the laws of physics.

If you're running a voltage source, try 16 litres tuned to 58Hz. It won't have any LF, but at least it'll be well behaved. Unless rammed up against a front-wall or in corners & heavily toed in, you will almost certainly need a shelving filter to compensate for step-loss.

If you're running a high output impedance amplifier then you may get a bit more out of them; likewise if you're willing to sacrifice some sensitivity by putting some series R in place. For e.g., 4ohms series R would make something like 32 litres tuned to 40Hz useable.
Old 20th October 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
The Super 8 and 'bass' are two terms that sit rather uneasily together; irrespective of the claims on the CSA site, these drivers as-is, from the advertised spec., are not ideal for reflex loading if you want much in the way of LF extension since they are not exempt from the laws of physics.

If you're running a voltage source, try 16 litres tuned to 58Hz. It won't have any LF, but at least it'll be well behaved. Unless rammed up against a front-wall or in corners & heavily toed in, you will almost certainly need a shelving filter to compensate for step-loss.

If you're running a high output impedance amplifier then you may get a bit more out of them; likewise if you're willing to sacrifice some sensitivity by putting some series R in place. For e.g., 4ohms series R would make something like 32 litres tuned to 40Hz useable.
Thank you for the detailed message but all this is above my head. If someone could just give me some cabinet dimensions to use. I know that is lame but that's where I am at now. Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 04:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You aren't able to draw a box of 16 litres or 32 litres volume?

16 litres: internal HxWxD = 12.375in x 9in x 9in. Line top, back & 1 sidewall with damping material; Ultratouch, 1in acoustic fibreglass for hi-vac ducts or similar. Avoid egg-crate foam. Driver centre mounted 5in down from internal top. Vent = 2in diameter x 2.875in long, total. Rear-firing, vent-centre 3in up from internal bottom on the rear baffle. It will have almost no real bass, but assuming the AN driver specs. are accurate (just assuming), it will at least be well behaved.

32litres: internal HxWxD 18in x 9in x 12.75in. Line box as above. Driver centre 6in down from internal top. Vent = 2in diameter x 3in long, vent centre 6in up on internal rear panel. If you're running a voltage source (regular solid state) amplifier, insert a 4ohm resistor of suitable rating in the positive lead to the driver.

Both of these boxes are oversized to account for the volume taken up by the driver itself, the vent & any internal bracing you may feel inclined to add. You will likely wish to adjust the internal damping quantities to suit, and you will likely need a shelving filter to help with step loss unless they are close to a front wall or in corners.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 20th October 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 20th October 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lowther DX Series of Drivers in a ML TL Enclosure

Hi,

Just copy the boxes and most of the options given
in the above article. The AN driver is a a Lowther
equivalent and the above article is as much
common sense as you are likely to find.

rgds, sreten.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/ML_TL_Plans.pdf

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th October 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'd agree but for the fact that Martin's excellent MLTL is about a foot taller than the maximum the OP has stated he can use.

If he can, purely by the advertised specs. the ANS8 if anything ought to do a little better in that box than the DX3 itself does.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 20th October 2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 20th October 2013, 07:35 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
.... are not ideal for reflex loading if you want much in the way of LF extension since they are not exempt from the laws of physics.
The consequence of going for such hi-efficiency is this size driver. Hoffmann's Iron Law.

dave
Old 20th October 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yup.

Hide this!Advertise here!