Mocking up with cardboard - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Howard is offline Howard  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Mocking up with cardboard, and other newbie questions

So I'm just starting out in speaker building and I have received a pair of Monacor SPX-30M and mocked up some basic ~3L enclosures from cardboard.

Firstly, is this what everyone did when they first started out?!

Secondly, how will the cardboard actually affect the sound negatively, when compared to the future "proper" wooden efforts? I'm hoping they're going to sound a bit more "weighty" once I build the boxes.

Obviously the Monacors are bass-light but they're also a little bit shouty in the mid range. I don't know if this is a characteristic of the drivers, or that of the thin cardboard enclosures.

Also, when building small full range units like this, is it normal to have a high pass filter at all? I have the speaker size on the AV receiver I'm using to power them set to "small" but I think that crosses over at about 80hz which is a bit low for these little'uns.

Lastly, with the T&S parameters of the driver, how do you go about ascertaining the correct volume of sealed enclosure for single full range drivers like this one? Shove them in WinISD like you would a sub? Does the enclosure size affect anything other than the bass response particularly?

I have some HiVi B3Ns on the way too, which I'm hoping will fit in the same holes and I know work well in 2.5-3L enclosures judging by information available online.

As you can see I'm a big n00b so any answers to my questions and general advice are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Howard; 12th October 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11th October 2013, 06:17 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

re the HP question - most modern AV receivers will allow a fair degree of flexibility of XO points - especially those with Audyssey or similar software. Allocating the speakers as "small" will probably set the XO much higher than 80 - ie. more likely in the 120 - 150 Hz range. Those settings of course can be overridden, but not all menus or remotes are intuitive - sometimes at least 4 levels deep to the specific function you need.
Old 11th October 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but not on my old Marantz SR4200 they can't
Old 11th October 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Welcome to your new addiction of diy speaker building The cardboard will resonate like a guitar body and produce quite a bit of sound. But it is not always bad as these speakers can sound quite nice.

My first DIY speaker was a made from a postal cardboard box. I then discovered that foam core boards work infinitely better more precise to cut and is nicer looking than the brown corrugated cardboard. We discussed foam core vs cardboard at length in this thread: Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

This is one of my best sounding cardboard speakers - it helps if the box is high quality double wall stuff. Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Click the image to open in full size.

The inside:

Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 11th October 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

So the next question would what's the "best" packing tape to use for cardboard enclosures?
Old 11th October 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Lol, thanks guys. Just wondered how much of an accurate indication as to how they'll sound that it is! I can't believe how detailed these little Monacors are, but I'm hoping a proper wooden cabinet will make them sing.
Old 11th October 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

XRT,
Is that the little Peerless 3"er? Last Spring I put them into just-over-1-liter sealed boxes and they perform beyond expectations...maybe not the best highs but dynamic and punchy and capable of decent SPLs....they'll do even better in yours when they're made of wood
Mario
Old 11th October 2013, 10:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

1 litre? That's crazy small!
Old 11th October 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Firstly, is this what everyone did when they first started out?!
Nope, not me, no sir, not at all, never, nope.
Old 11th October 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
So the next question would what's the "best" packing tape to use for cardboard enclosures?
My goodness Chris, I would have thought duct tape had made it to the island by now. Sheesh. Double sheesh!

Hide this!Advertise here!