Best 4" fullrange speaker for 2LT bookshelf nearfield

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I would like to build two little nearfield bookshelf monitors for my small studio (less than 10m2). They will stay very close to the wall and be fed by a 2x50 T-Amp.

I would like to achieve something like this (in about 2 or 2.5 Lt range):

nearfield_monitors_1.jpg

with or without bass reflex.

I was thinking to chose among the following: Fostex FE103 or FE108, Markaudio chr70 or Alpair 7, or other. Which one is the best speaker for this kind of application?

Hi,

I have experience working with MONACOR SPX-30M. They're 3", but with a bass-reflex they can go surprisingly low.

The only problem I see here is that 2.5L may be not enough. To achieve that low end you would probably need any kind of correction, like dsp or linkwitz transforms, but this is far from a simple and easy project.

Hope it helps you!!

Do you plan to have a helper woofer/subwoofer in this room? Bass will be hard to achieve in this range of volume otherwise. Doing so would really open-up your options IMO. FWIW, I'm using Tang-Band W4-1320SIF in DCR enclosures, larger than what you want at ~9L net Vb, but the overall performance is very good in a small room. It has exemplary response in the midrange and HF.

IG

there's that 4-letter word again - "best" :)

2 liters is on the small size for some of the listed drivers, if only for the constraints of their physical dimensions - specifically the like of Fostex FE108 ( I assume the Sigma) and Alpair 7. I've worked with both, and their flanges and magnet assemblies - particularly the Fostex- would make a very tight fit in an enclosure of only 2 liters, and it's not likely you'd get your money's worth from in boxes that size.

There are almost too many drivers in this size class to chose from, ranging from the under $5 clear-outs that can perform embarrassingly well, to the likes of $108 Fostex FE108EZ. I doubt anyone has heard enough of them in enclosures suitable for the proposed application to form an opinion that would be meaningful.

that said, a few more to add, all of which I've heard at some time or other:

Fostex FE83En or FF85WK
Aurasound NS3
Fountek FR88EX

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might well find that a 3" driver will get you lower than a 4" in such a small box. Some quick sims i did for the FE103 the other day suggest you might get 150 Hz. The FF85 in the uFonken (2 litres) gets you to 100 (at limited levels). If the can squeeze another 1/2 litre the A6.2p goes lower (A6.2m does as well but not as low)

dave

Yes, how could I have forgot the 2 models of A6? - I'm running a pair of 6Ms in tiny sealed boxes as rear surrounds, where the lack of response below 120Hz is moot, and the 6Ps in the little 2.5 liter box works very well for near field.

These are in the approx middle of the $5 - 100 price range, and Mark's characteristically large flanges relative to cone size do limit the dimensions to which the baffles can be shrunk, so the next question would be are there any constraints on enclosure height / width?

The smaller enclosure for A6 of which Dave speaks are approx 150mm W x 250mm H x 118mm D (using 1/2" ply, and even at that size, includes a full length front to back brace), while the slightly larger "milli" size is 173x297x179 (based on 15mm material)

While this does not aim to question yours OP demands on a "you don't really know what you want - trust me" scale, I'm just wondering what limits you to a measly ~2L? Our minds sometimes don't want to work in 3D and we might figure a doubling in volume equates a doubling of each physical dimension, while it is much more benign in reality. I think if bumping up the allowable Vb to 5-6L, a golden ratio box built from 11mm BB-ply could take a surprisingly small amount of space and be well-suited to wall placement. This opens up a lot of choice in drivers and tunings. Just think about it. :)

Here are the internal dimensions for golden ratio 5L as example:

5000cc^(1/3) =: 17.0998 cm width
_*0.618 =: 10.5677 cm depth
_*2.618 =: 27.6661 cm height

Add 22mm each way accounting for wood.

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.