Audio Nirvana Classic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Nirvana Classic

I am one of the proud new owner of this "whizzer-less" full range driver and have them mounted in a variation of the BK-16 BLH cabinet. I do not have designs to provide, but they were specifically designed for this driver. Bass performance is excellent so far, and highs are filling in nicely, but I would like to implement a Zobel network to compensate for the rising impedance and I have no reliable way to measure the Le parameter accurately. Could this measurement be derived from some other method than direct measurement? Any suggestions on other methods of "taming" the peaky behavior in the 5 Khz-10 Khz range? I have only run them for 100 hours or so, so perhaps this will tame down a bit, but its enough of a distraction for me to warrant a compensation network of some kind.

For those interested in this driver, I can tell you with assurance they are an upgrade to the AN 8" Cast which I currently have as well. They offer a broader and deeper soundstage, better off-axis response, typical AN imaging, with surprisingly solid bass. Detail through the treble is every bit as good as his other offerings. Just has a very different overall presentation and I think most folks will agree that its an improvement and a step in the right direction.

Last edited by eventhorizon; 1st October 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 1st October 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Without measurements, calculating a zobel can be approximated using the published impedance plot and Re. Can't read the plot clearly, but its inductance rise is very low if accurate, so a zobel wouldn't accomplish enough to justify its insertion losses.

A parallel notch filter is the time honored way to deal with this driver's published break-up modes, though without measurements can be a tedious affair at best: Parallel Notch Filter Designer / Calculator Help
Parallel Notch Fliter Designer / Calculator

GM
Old 1st October 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As I am sure your are aware the plots at CSA are not always the most accurate... What kind of measurements would be helpful in designing a compensation network for this driver?
Old 1st October 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ideally on & off axis FR sweeps of the driver on the baffle it's being used with, plus impedance plot[s]. And if you can measure the T/S parameters with low voltage & with more normal loads, so much the better.
Old 2nd October 2013, 01:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

3khz - 6khz seems to be troublesome on that driver.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by norman bates; 2nd October 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 2nd October 2013, 03:10 AM   #6
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

how's fs and qts vs published spec? AN8 stamped frame was reasonable - AN10 stamped frame was off. The Classic 8 should be nice in a Karlson.
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I really do not take anything significant from the plots on CSA, and my "observations" tell me that the range needing attenuation is a bit higher in the bandwidth.

I was contemplating putting the Wild Burro's I have in a Karlson, but not so sure about this speaker.
Old 2nd October 2013, 08:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Since an 8" narrows in dispersion (maybe 90 degrees @ 2khz, especially without a whizzer), perhaps sitting up to 45 degrees off axis would smooth it out.

Or try a 10 band eq to see where you want to manipulate the freq response.

Either way, good to hear from someone who has tried this driver.

Norman
Old 4th October 2013, 12:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think it has enormous potential and I know room interaction are affecting it a bit. I have EQ'ed the driver with very good success. I was just wondering if there was a more "permanent" solution.
Old 4th October 2013, 02:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You could always try the enabl technique

Hide this!Advertise here!