Outdoors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Outdoors

Im making a battery powered amp for around the campfire type situations, its in the order of 30W. Looking into speakers (I'm starting to get the feeling I should have done this first) and as a beginner in these things I am suffering severe information overload.

I was thinking about some of Woden Designs cabinets for EL70
Frugal-phile | Box Library / CSS

Would these work at the bottom of the garden, or am I missing something important?
Old 28th September 2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you provide some more information about your application? How loud? Do you have size and weight requirements? Is this just for casual listening or do you want audiophile quality?

Most of the times I've been in an "around the campfire situation", it was after many miles of hiking or cycling, and I sure wouldn't want to lug speakers around.
Old 28th September 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not massively loud. I tend to drive to my camping locations so as long as they aren’t over about 4ft long transportation isn't an issue.

Quality wise Im thinking top end casual and low end audiophile. the source is(or will be) a Bluetooth module, Im not sure of the exact specs but Im hoping that it will be the limiting factor of quality.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, that helps.

Outdoors is a little different from indoors. It's half space, there's no room gain, and there's bugs... You may want to skim through this thread: A Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces

My first inclination would be to recommend a fairly large medium to high Q full range, mounted in an open back cabinet - sort of like a guitar speaker. A similarly spec'd speaker in a sealed box is another good option. These options are both simple and effective, and there's not place for bugs or mice to hide.

Perhaps one of the Woden guys will chime in about which of those designs might be suitable for outdoors. It's possible one or more work great outside, but I haven't hear any of them.

Hide this!Advertise here!