Alpair 10P vs A12P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Friends,
I am trying to decide between Alpair 10P and 12P. What I am looking from these drivers is a realistic reproduction of male voices like Nat King Cole. I am not sure which way to go. Any experiences to share?
Also I have to choose between MLTL and Pensils:(.

Thanks Dave and Jeff. I have a small to mid size less than 1000 sq feet room where I am planning to use them.
I am looking for mid bass reproduction which I think contribute character to male voices like Nat king Cole. So a bigger diaphragm should be able to do it better? But when cone size goes up it also brake down easily with higher frequency. I have a Ff125wk driver which l like very much. Except that I am nt getting that warm male voices. It is a bass reflex box I made 6 months ago. I like it. Will Alpair 10 or 12 out perform ff125 wk?

Will Alpair 10 or 12 out perform ff125 wk?

In a decent sized MLTL, no contest - even the 10 by a wide margin in my opinion

How much smaller than 1000sq ft? I have 3 spaces which I've used 220, 320 and just over 400 - the smallest is very compromised due to the long / narrow/L-shaped configuration. No surprise that the largest of these yields the most open and spacious soundstage, and cleanest deep bass.

My room is about 500sq feet. I am using a 40Watts per channel cayin A70-T.I do not like to play music loud nor do I plan to use them for watching movies. The only advatage I was expecting from A12P was the smoother lower midrange(male voice). So that is not the case I guess?

Well it sounds like power to spare, so the sensitivity difference is probably moot, and if you don't mind the larger enclosure size that the 12Ps need to fully demonstrate their advantage in the bottom end, then by all means.

To be honest, I can't remember any direct comparisons between the 10P & 12P to assess any advantages in the middle of the section of the bandwidth you mentioned.

any comments from the audience?

My room is about 500sq feet.

That's a good sized room, I say go with the 12p. What about a slightly bigger box, the Avebury:

Woden Design | Avebury

To be honest, I can't remember any direct comparisons between the 10P & 12P to assess any advantages in the middle of the section of the bandwidth you mentioned.

Anybody in our area building 10p Pencils?

jeff

That's a good sized room, I say go with the 12p. What about a slightly bigger box, the Avebury:

Woden Design | Avebury

Anybody in our area building 10p Pencils?

jeff

I tried to talk Dave into that, but he felt that 2 pairs of FHXL, the Pensil 10.3 (different enough to not be interchangeable), Brines' M10A10, and at least one pair of MarKens for 10.2s was quite enough enclosures for that size driver at the moment. We counted over 40 pairs populated with drivers before any of the attendee's speakers at the August event, not counting 3 or 4 at my place, and at least a dozen of those were multiple versions of same design - like who really needs 4 (or was it 5?) different pair of FH3s? .

Of course, there will no doubt be drawings for MarKen10PT or some such nomenclature to see the light of day soon, but in the meantime I could simply forge ahead with the others anyways. I certainly have the spare time and could scrounge the materials :)

so the short answer is " not yet"

Kinku,

The English language as applied to speaker performance is vague and inexact. You are asking someone else how your speakers are going to sound to you. I'm sorry for the abrupt cut off, but if you want to know how the A10P and A12P differ, you are going to have to spend some time with both.

Bob

What Bob said - also very helpful if both speakers are in the same environment, which is not always as easy as it sounds. For example, Jeff & I are less than a mile apart, and have yet to get our enclosures with the 2 of these drivers in the same room.

Jeff, how's this weekend sound? - might have to be Sunday though, our dance card's rather full for tomorrow, I think :D

No offense Bob, I am trying to avoid exactly what you recommend. Making both A10 and A12 just by collecting opinions. It is always better to experience anything and reach a conclusion. But most of the time conclusions can be made from majority opinion and it may work just fine. So I just checked with you to see what exactly you meant by your statement about mid response. If you do not know how to explain it that is just fine as well.As far as I am not paying you for your opinion it will work just fine for me. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.