Will PM4A/5A extend flat to 100HZ on OB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Will PM4A/5A extend flat to 100HZ on OB?

Hi,

I am thinking about building a two-way or three-way open baffle. And I am deciding on the fullrange driver. I may pick supravox 215EXC or Lowther PM4A/5A. The biggest buffle size I can allow is 60CM*130CM.

I am sure 215EXC can easily extend to 100HZ and below. And I have heard only good things about Lowther midrange.

So will a lowther PM4A/5A extend to 100HZ even on a small OB? and How small is too small in this application?

Will you pick supravox or lowther?

Thanks a lot.

(I will use woofer to help below 100HZ)

Last edited by wyan; 25th September 2013 at 04:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
You might want to check out the OB response calculator here:
http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/Xlbaffle.xls.zip
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
You might want to check out the OB response calculator here:
http://p10hifi.net/TLS/downloads/Xlbaffle.xls.zip
Thanks a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 10:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Norman Bates is a fan of the baffle with hinged wings that should work well enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Angelm is offline Angelm  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sofia
I use Edge software to calculate my baffle with EX3 and auxiliary bass.
Here is one option with wings, 20 and 40 cm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge.jpg (54.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Edge1.jpg (76.1 KB, 115 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 01:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Thanks a lot, 2Pico and Angelm.

Still need to figure out the exact meaning of all the calculator and graphs but I think the two look good.

Today, I just borrowed a pair of PM6A from a friend and simply connect them to my system without mounting.

The low is lacking, the overall sound is thin and little bit too bright, but then the midrange power is there. When I listen to chorus, it is actually powerful, and overwheming. I sort of understand what is "no turning back". :P
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyan View Post
The low is lacking, the overall sound is thin and little bit too bright, but then the midrange power is there. When I listen to chorus, it is actually powerful, and overwheming. I sort of understand what is "no turning back". :P
I imagine a low QTS driver is always going to sound thin on an open baffle without bass assistance.

All lowthers sound bright to me. Their strengths are 300 to 3khz. After that they get a bit chaotic for me, and below that require some exotic cabinets. Sweet midrange in the lowther thing

Last edited by gafhenderson; 26th September 2013 at 02:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
I imagine a low QTS driver is always going to sound thin on an open baffle without bass assistance.
Thought so. A woofer seems to be the ticket and it works from so many posts that I have read over the internet.

With 215EX the woofer might be able to get deaper and Lowther is claimed to have the midrange magic.

I will try to audition 215EXC and PM4A/5A and hopefully the answer will be there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyan View Post
Thought so. A woofer seems to be the ticket and it works from so many posts that I have read over the internet.

With 215EX the woofer might be able to get deaper and Lowther is claimed to have the midrange magic.

I will try to audition 215EXC and PM4A/5A and hopefully the answer will be there.
Project 10 : Lowther Open Baffle / Acoustic Elegance H Frame System

Perhaps no quite what you're looked ng for , but might give some inspiration.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 02:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
Project 10 : Lowther Open Baffle / Acoustic Elegance H Frame System

Perhaps no quite what you're looked ng for , but might give some inspiration.
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In room measurments. How flat is flat enough? murphythecat8 Multi-Way 65 30th August 2013 02:42 PM
Flat FR, Flat Power Response, in-phase crossover? RockLeeEV Multi-Way 15 7th February 2012 08:07 PM
Why does the grid extend so far beyond the anode ? yajnaS Tubes / Valves 10 22nd November 2011 11:37 PM
Ports: can they extend outside the cab? Emprov Instruments and Amps 2 19th January 2006 06:06 AM
Help extend the life of my 805's georgehifi Tubes / Valves 5 21st March 2005 11:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2