Enclosure For My Speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
lcd950 is offline lcd950  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure For My Speaker

My speaker it is 8 ohms and 100w but when i check ohms form my DMM which is 6 ohms. It's a 8" one.

Truly I need to create a enclosure for my speaker.

Is there any theory for making enclosure for speakers?

I also drew image which has all the measurement on it. (I've attached it)

For this speaker, which doesn't has any manual or something like that.

If I've forgot to provide something about my speaker tell me what are those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (34.0 KB, 484 views)
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Same as the almost identical thread started a few days ago. Without any useful spec. for the drivers (not even a manufacturer / model), you're flying blind. Traditionally a 2ft^3 sealed box was used for 8in drivers as GM points out in that one, but how well it will work will of course vary depending on the unit in question.
Old 14th December 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also want to make a enclosure for 6'' woofer and 6'' speaker. both should be separated boxes. how about the box dimensions for both boxes.
Old 14th December 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You haven't told us anything whatsoever about them so it's not possible to say much that is useful. Loudspeakers of identical sizes can and do have radically different properties, so what works well for one can in other cases be completely misaligned.

If you want a wild stab in the dark, try 1ft^3, sealed, well stuffed / lined. If you want an equally wild stab in the dark for a vented box, you could try 3.5ft^3, with a vent area of 20in^2, and line the box with 1in fiberglass. Make sure one panel is removable so you can adjust both the damping and the vent area. Because you'll be doing a lot of adjustment.
Old 15th December 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is there any theory for making enclosure for speakers?
hi your obviously new here!
spend some time reading some of the threads around here and review your question.
scottmoose is right without info it's hard to do.
Old 8th February 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I purchased a 7.5" woofer from local shop but this driver does not provide any information about its performance but the back side of woofer there are something mentioned.
LG Electronics
EAB62509201
LGZ40
U180L08LGK1
130604S

I don't have any idea of the driver but shopper said this driver is 4Ohms and100W.

So I don't know which kind of enclosure suitable for this drive, which is the theoretically suitable enclosure box for this driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LGZ40 Wooffer.jpg (64.0 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg LGZ40 Wooofer.jpg (57.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 8th February 2014, 05:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nor do the rest of us without any kind of performance data whatsoever. The impedance and wattage ratings tell you nothing useful for designing an enclosure with. Again, if you want a wild stab in the dark, you could try a sealed box of about 1.5ft^3 volume, well lined & stuffed, but there is no way at all of knowing how well it would work in advance.

I strongly advise that for your future drive unit purchases, you try to acquire products where the manufacturer actually provides some information about their own product, unless you wish to invest in some test equipment to measure them yourself.
Old 8th February 2014, 06:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Don't be dismayed by some of the reactions here about your desire to build a loudspeaker....Yes there is MUCH theory to building enclosures and all the other ancillary "stuff" to go with it.
If indeed it is a driver made by LG Electronics....From what I've found LG doesn't sell "raw drivers"...this being the case, it might be a driver removed from an LG Electronics "Home theatre" system.
More than likely the data required has not been published. If so, YOU need to do some experimenting to derive those "T/S parameters".
With this data that you can discover, we can then move on to creating an appropriate enclosure. Fortunately, with this data, we can "plug-in" the data into various simulation programs & come up with suitable/exacting enclosures.
Further, once we have this "modeled" we can progress to finding another driver(Tweeter) to match up....with the driver you already have.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick.........
Old 17th May 2014, 01:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Arrow correct enclosure for my speaker?

Can I use this calculator to find correct enclosure for my speaker?

Speaker Driver Displacement Calculator
Old 17th May 2014, 02:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

No. That tells you how much air the cone is moving at the point of maximum linear travel. It tells you nothing about enclosures. To determine a reasonable enclosure, you need to know something about your drive units, or measure them, unless you are willing to engage in a lot of experimenting.

Hide this!Advertise here!