need help in installing el84 as a phase plug in a 8" Visaton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
Getting some Visaton 8" Full range drivers and would like to do the Decware thing, where steve used an el84 in the center of a fostex FE206E 8" full range driver. i want to do the same thing, and I have no clue as if the tube is a snug fit, or if anyone has tried this experiment, please share if you have any thoughts and maybe the tube pins, have enough magnetic pull to keep it on the center of the pole piece? or is everything going to have to be taken out under the dust cap? Most appreciative of any suggestions... Pianolydia P.s. a sketch of this installation would be nice!!

PIANOLYDIA

Attachments

• DECWARE.jpg
    DECWARE.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 217
maybe epoxy putty around the pins and a steel disc cast into the putty so it would hold tight to the pole piece -?

IINM, we tried a single large washer early in our experiments with phase plugs - clay filled caps from MAC lipstick donated by my daughter - and found they weren't as stable or as easy to align as 2 small (#4 or 5) flat head screws in a wood dowel or turned bullet shape.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
IINM, we tried a single large washer early in our experiments with phase plugs - clay filled caps from MAC lipstick donated by my daughter - and found they weren't as stable or as easy to align as 2 small (#4 or 5) flat head screws in a wood dowel or turned bullet shape.

On phase plugs made with foam ear plugs, with a washer, the magnetic field (i asume) kept pushing the phase plugs over. A magnetic circui with 2 or more separate pieces of metal was stable.

dave

Dave, How much are your phase plugs

On phase plugs made with foam ear plugs, with a washer, the magnetic field (i asume) kept pushing the phase plugs over. A magnetic circui with 2 or more separate pieces of metal was stable.

dave

Seems to me lacquered wood phase plugs would be best! Why would someone use something metal near the pole piece will interfere with phase anomalies coming around the magnetic washer or metal plugs etc, seems to me would mess with the sound, or roll off the highs...cone breakup, your thoughts pianolydia

Seems to me lacquered wood phase plugs would be best! Why would someone use something metal near the pole piece will interfere with phase anomalies coming around the magnetic washer or metal plugs etc, seems to me would mess with the sound, or roll off the highs...cone breakup, your thoughts pianolydia

of the many funky little tricks that mr Deckert has come up with over the past dozen or so years that I've been paying attention, the vacuum tube as phase plug is one I never quite understood

perhaps a joke on the audio nervosa sufferers? ;)

-plus it looks horrible.

Most definitely looks out of place. Kind of an Ultra-Fi chimera. :)

It is my understanding that the plug should have a profile close to the inverse of the cone/whizzer in any case. It will certain affect the sound of the driver, perhaps in a good way, I can't tell without trying it first, but it'll likely not be technically optimal.

Bert Doppenberg's old acrylic hemi-elliptical slotted phaseplug looked much cooler, though I have no idea it there are merits to it. :)

IG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.