Cigar box stereo full range Ideas and more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I am getting ready to start my first project. I have gotten some great input here and I'm hopeing I get a little more here. I have decided to build a Cigar Box bookshelf stereo. Using 3 boxes one for the amp(undecided) and electronics(mp3 fm tuner modual) If you have suggestions for any of this feel free to chime in. I am here now wanting to know given the small size of a larger size cigar box what full range driver yould you suggest. I believe another gentleman who did this used a tang band. I dont really know the actual volume of a general WOODEN cigar box but I have read around .1cf. I would like the most sound I can get out of this from high to low. I would like some ideas and options as far as pricepoints might go. 1. CHeap but will do a nice job
2. average cost but great performance
3. Very high end but would be amazing to listen too.

Im interested in if any of you think any of the choices you suggest may require any other filtering with the suggested driver.

Last I would like lean towards more efficient drivers where possible. I intend to use a fairly powerful amp (overkill) for this project but I want it to turn heads.

FYI- I intend to put a little fiberglass layering in each box just to support and stiffen them up a bit.

Let the suggestions fly about any aspect you want to chime in on I'm all ears.

Oh ya I should say I believe a driver around 4 or 5 inch would be the limit.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Little box (~2.8 litre), means a little driver, meaning low efficiency & limited bass. Inexpensive i would suggest the Aura NS3 on sale at Madisound, at the max quality end, either of the MA Alpair 6.2 (paper is my preference). If you add a woofer to the mix, or won't miss bass, the Fostex FF85wk could be considered.

dave

I don't know if you make use of a sub-woofer or not, but that's not (shouldn't be) your first priority.
Only that you can go for a driver with very good low frq. extension or disregard that as a priority.
I'm not sure if you know what a 4" coax Tannoy Mini-Autograph speaker is?! Listen yest? The best speaker you ever heard, possible...
Then I would take this new Ciare driver for a test mule NDPA-5 NEW 2013 EXTENDED RANGE and call a ~3L (net) cigar box it's home in a BR configuration. Needs a 4.4 cm diam. port/22.52 cm length - what is a space rather large for this project, you need to add port vol. + driver to the total net internal.

Other interesting drivers
Audax HM130Z0 Aerogel
Fostex FF85WK 3" Full Range
Faital pro 4" FE32/35
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/4FE32/8/4FE32_datasheet_8.pdf
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/4FE35/8/4FE35_datasheet_8.pdf

Last edited:
The link for the new Ciare NDPA-5 mentioned above is here.
The Ciare NDPA-4 needs a smaller BR enclosure. Let's simulate an acceptable enclosure as an example:
VB = 1.5 L, FB = 93.0 Hz
Port diameter: 3.8 cm/length: 23.31 cm
Port/Driver Displacement: 1.45 lts
Net internal volume: 2.95 lts

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I believe the famous LS35A had a little 2db hump at about 120hz. This little hump made you feal like the bass responce went lower than it did.
Keeping this in mind looks like the Fatal with it's Fs of 100hz,QTS .6 , VAS .07cubic feet might work verry well in your little boxes.

Regarding the interest in the Fostex's, more links below.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...udio-alpair-6p-tested-against-each-other.html
Fostex FF-WK Series Speakers
Fostex FF-WK Series Speakers
Fostex FF 105 WK - FULLRANGE
hifisound eShop*-*FOSTEX FF 105 WK - FULLRANGE *A

A simulation with this driver Fostex FF 105 WK can work nice in a BR ~4L but also in a reduced ~3L (FB = 58 Hz) (F3dB 90Hz'ish)
Port diameter: 3.4 cm/length: 23.59 cm
In the form of the 4L BR (net) (F3dB 80Hz'ish):
VB = 4.1 L, FB = 57.9 Hz
Port diameter: 3.4 cm/length: 17.22 cm :)
The Madisound Speaker Store

Ok thanks for all that. I should say a sub is a possible option down the road but for now i want the best extended range sound from 1 full range driver in a tiny box. Actually a tri mode configuration was floating around in my head. A few of the drivers mentioned are listed as mid bass not sure if the idea is that it will do the job or would those choices require a tweeter? Thanks and any more input let me know. I will let you know what i decide and what i come up with.

What you're wanting are drivers that are custom made for small portable systems and the need for their specialized electronics, so DIYing a higher SQ system capable of a similar peak average SPL is going to be bigger and probably as expensive as a decent consumer system.

GM

Actually I wouldnt say I need anything custom....I just want to get the most out of what I build given the limited tight paramaters I have to work with and with outside help from people more knowledgable than myself (people here) I am sure I can build something that will make me happy.

I'm sure. Being optimistic might find you doing excellent or close to good. How is it about the definitive internals (max./net volume) to model the driver options. Starting with already made. If not, starting with the driver, maybe you can have bigger box? To experiment, I would say/ask one of this;
What driver are you using or,
What speaker (net) are you using.

SCANSPEAK SP "Sound nakedThe sound of the sound ...."
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/236541-tb-w4-1320sif-double-bass-reflex.html

ON another note IF i eventually wanted to build a tiny sub to help the system out Could I build something effective out of a 4'' or so driver? similar sized enclosure? If need be I could maybe put 2 cigar boxes together for something a bit bigger. Maybe a bandpass design. what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.