Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

need quick help with A10.3 info !
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2013, 01:32 AM   #31
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tube amp with lower damping factor does sound different, but this isn't the answer. Either the drivers need more cooking, the stuffing needs to be changed, the port needs to be finessed, or as my tag line says - I have to change my mind

OK - just tried taking all the stuffing out of one speaker. It made a noticeable improvement in bottom end fullness - it's late I need to experiment further. This is a bit scary, this box design is supposed to require a LOT of stuffing ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 25th September 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 25th September 2013, 02:05 PM   #32
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
or as my tag line says - I have to change my mind

Quote:
OK - just tried taking all the stuffing out of one speaker. It made a noticeable improvement in bottom end fullness - it's late I need to experiment further. This is a bit scary, this box design is supposed to require a LOT of stuffing ?
Fluff up the polyfill and try distributing lightly throughout the cabinet... not too tightly packed... keep the port free. Give the drivers a bit of space to breath - don't place the fill too near the back of the drivers. Without any polyfill you are likely to get a bit of boom...
Old 25th September 2013, 11:14 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

HI zman01,

I agree with you - it is the next logical step. And so that's what I'm listening to now. I've taken out the stuffing, fluffed it up and put back half of what I had. It sounds like the best tradeoff so far. I must admit I was expecting more bass from the size of the cabinet after building with the EL-70 in a relatively small cabinet. But the sound of the A10.3 is quite a step above the EL-70 for refinement in my opinion based on limited listening so far.

I will not glue the base on these boxes, but keep them as removable. I prefer this to the removable back because the glued on back allows me to maintain some solid glue joints and front-back bracing.

There is still a bit of an upward tilt, but I'm going to reserve judgment until the boxes are finished and the drivers have more hours on them. It maybe that there isn't enough BSC built into the driver response.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 26th September 2013, 12:11 AM   #34
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:

I must admit I was expecting more bass from the size of the cabinet after building with the EL-70 in a relatively small cabinet.
A10.3 will not go as low as EL70.

dave
Old 26th September 2013, 01:28 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

So it seems. However, what it does do, it appears to do rather well.

What does Mark have that can reach down like an EL-70 but have the finesse of the 10.3?
Old 26th September 2013, 02:25 AM   #36
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is still a bit of an upward tilt, but I'm going to reserve judgment until the boxes are finished and the drivers have more hours on them. It maybe that there isn't enough BSC built into the driver response.
The best cure for the mild upward tilt of the various Alpair's is move 10-15* off axis.

Bob
Old 26th September 2013, 05:24 AM   #37
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So it seems. However, what it does do, it appears to do rather well.

What does Mark have that can reach down like an EL-70 but have the finesse of the 10.3?

I've been known to wax rhapsodic about the EL70 and A7s - the 10P is very nice - perhaps not quite a grunty as the EL70, but far more refined. O course if I was a betting man, I'd consider waiting for the (so far imaginary) A8 paper.
Old 26th September 2013, 05:37 AM   #38
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
A10.3 is a bit more finessed than A10.2, but A10.2 goes lower (than EL70, either of the new A10s or the A12p)

dave
Old 26th September 2013, 01:49 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Bob - thanks for sharing your experience, I agree, some toe-in does help but it means a restricted sweet-spot ? so you use any network parts, such as zobel in your build ?

Dave - good to know But the 10.2 is no longer in production is it ?

Chris - OK you dropped the bomb here - what A8 ?
Old 26th September 2013, 02:39 PM   #40
Bob Brines is offline Bob Brines  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Bob - thanks for sharing your experience, I agree, some toe-in does help but it means a restricted sweet-spot ? so you use any network parts, such as zobel in your build ?
Try toeing them out 10-15*. In my HT, I have the speakers square with the room. Makes for a quite large sweet spot. I can move the sweet spot moderately by adjusting the volume on one of the speakers.

I use a BSC filter and a "zobel" on TB's and Fostex, but I ship MA speakers without any filters. For personal use, I clean up whatever with mild DSP.

Bob

need quick help with A10.3 info !Hide this!Advertise here!