The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful cute kitten there Wesayso. I have had cats all my life. My first one when I was 8yrs old and stayed with me until grad school. Now I have two and they are 17 and 20yrs old. It’s a lifelong friend and not unlike a child. No issues with them scratching speakers though. I can see the sound absorber panels as great climbing walls though.

This is her:

I know there's a meme there somewhere about missing "air" and "detail". :)

She's a beauty, though.

I'm enjoying reading along. I may have mostly satisfied my DSP curiosity at this point and have been wondering a little bit lately about amps (I wouldn't mind having more power and more convenience (remote control volume etc...) at this point).

My experience on the instrument (electric bass) side of things is that at least some of my earlier (traditional) amps had a bit of a "hard" sound unlike my current lightweight (PWM) amp which lets the natural "punchy" character to come through. I had no idea why this was at the time, but my best guess now would be that the effect is related to phase shift of the lower frequencies...

edit: I don't mean to generalize; I don't know if it has anything to do with the amp topology...

Last edited:
I managed to record a couple of graphs over the last few weeks, it made clear that I still have some home work to do. There are small differences now that the pré amp isn't in the chain anymore.
It proved quite a challenge to start the amplifier at times. It has a start up protection, but not a soft power on function. It has tripped my circuit breaker a couple of times. So one of the first things to do is get a soft start board for it so I don't keep tripping the breaker.

Koldby has the old type of fuses in his home which aren't as easy to throw out, apparently.

Next up, if the soft start is in place, I will run some more basic measurements and start up the whole EQ/DRC process from scratch to accommodate this amplifier. There are small differences in both frequency and phase compared to the previous Pioneer amplifier.

There seems to be quite an interest in line arrays again lately, and a lot of controversy surrounding that topic too.
To have a shortcut to the papers I valued most I added them at the bottom of my first post in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/242171-towers-25-driver-range-line-array.html#post3624487
I could add Don Keele's paper as an other interesting read, however that one is all about finite line arrays, not the floor to ceiling lines, which mimic an infinite line, that I like the most as a concept.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping this monster thread alive, and your efforts to clean it up and point to all the various discussions!

2 things, about stuff that was discussed earlier:

- You introduced me to Infected Mushroom, and the first song you mentioned was Sense of Direction, which was nice. Then, later, I saw others mention Flamingo. But in another thread (TABAQs) I saw Dancing with Kadafi... it is my favorite track lately! I love it when a song carries you through, where the melody is a story and there are many moods throughout... Any other ones from IM that sound like that one? :)

- I just stumbled onto something that made me think of you. There a little company that introduced a few plugins, one is about the Haas effect. Might be worth looking into it, since you are about to redo all the process with the new amp.

audec-music.com

It proved quite a challenge to start the amplifier at times. It has a start up protection, but not a soft power on function. It has tripped my circuit breaker a couple of times. So one of the first things to do is get a soft start board for it so I don't keep tripping the breaker.

Koldby has the old type of fuses in his home which aren't as easy to throw out, apparently.
Standard household circuit breakers normally can draw around 10 times their nominal rating for a short duration without tripping, similar time constant to fuses.

Your breaker may simply be defective or worn out.

Last century got a bad batch of 20 Amp Square D breakers (usually a reliable brand) we used on a portable power distribution center. The breakers could not power up a single amplifier without tripping- requiring one person at the breaker box and one at the amp rack to get the dozen or so amps powered on. Once the amplifier's capacitors had filled, no trip problems.

Replaced them after a few shows...

Thanks for keeping this monster thread alive, and your efforts to clean it up and point to all the various discussions!

2 things, about stuff that was discussed earlier:

- You introduced me to Infected Mushroom, and the first song you mentioned was Sense of Direction, which was nice. Then, later, I saw others mention Flamingo. But in another thread (TABAQs) I saw Dancing with Kadafi... it is my favorite track lately! I love it when a song carries you through, where the melody is a story and there are many moods throughout... Any other ones from IM that sound like that one? :)

- I just stumbled onto something that made me think of you. There a little company that introduced a few plugins, one is about the Haas effect. Might be worth looking into it, since you are about to redo all the process with the new amp.

audec-music.com

I'll look into that plugin, thanks!

My first encounter with Infected Mushroom was with their song: Avratz. I still like that one very much. Some very neat stuff going on in that song.
From that album the track Deeply Disturbed is fun too.

Standard household circuit breakers normally can draw around 10 times their nominal rating for a short duration without tripping, similar time constant to fuses.

Last century got a bad batch of 20 Amp Square D breakers (usually a reliable brand) we used on a portable power distribution center. The breakers could not power up a single amplifier without tripping- requiring one person at the breaker box and one at the amp rack to get the dozen or so amps powered on. Once the amplifier's capacitors had filled, no trip problems.

You could be right about this being a possible cause, would it change anything that our electrical system is running at 230 Volts over here?

I would go for the soft start circuit in the Goldmund anyway. Should have been there from the start. My bad, sorry wesayso...

667968d1520853276-towers-25-driver-range-line-array-imag0005-jpg
Beautiful

You could be right about this being a possible cause, would it change anything that our electrical system is running at 230 Volts over here?
Since your 230V household outlets have around twice the voltage as ours, your breakers need only half the amperage to carry the same power (wattage). Might be harder to build a "spot on" 10 amp breaker than a 20 amp breaker.

That said, breakers can go bad at any voltage.

So can amplifiers- checking the inrush current compared to another would be useful, a soft start circuit could mask a problem in the Goldmund power supply.

Since your 230V household outlets have around twice the voltage as ours, your breakers need only half the amperage to carry the same power (wattage). Might be harder to build a "spot on" 10 amp breaker than a 20 amp breaker.

That said, breakers can go bad at any voltage.

So can amplifiers- checking the inrush current compared to another would be useful, a soft start circuit could mask a problem in the Goldmund power supply.
But the problem IS the missing inrush circuit in the Goldmund. There are two big 500 VA toroidal transformers and a big bank of capacitors that draws a lot of current momentarily and if is switched on when the mains sinus is near top, a normal functioning circuit breaker will trip. My 13 Amp fuse type of protecting in the mains can withstand much larger short time peaks than an automatic circuit breaker, and therefore did not blow. Even the mains fuse in the Goldmund did not blow and it is , as I recall, only 10 A. :wave:

All of the breakers for my electrical groups are of the same type, 16A type B.
I did look at my options, to have one replaced with a slower type, but it might get me into trouble with the main breaker.
I think the best solution is a soft start to avoid the problem.
Most regular readers of this thread know I have been looking at amps to replace my old Pioneer. However the biggest problem for me has always been: which one? I have been looking at the First One, but decided not to go in that direction, the NCore, most recently I looked at tomchr's Modulus 686.
However, when we had 5 different amplifiers hooked up and listened to them, 2 of them stood out for me. One was the Fetzilla which gave a beautiful midrange. The other one was this Goldmund clone, that one had the best overall performance. Or should I say, it suited the arrays the best.

Koldby and I have been negotiating about it and for about a week now I can call the Goldmund clone my own :eek:. So the cat is out of the bag :p.
This makes modifying the amplifier with an inrush protection the obvious choice for me.

Last edited: