The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I know that page :). And I do believe in it. We should take all the help we can get to get closer to the recording. Too bad I cannot afford to try out Prof. Choueiri's work. From my own brief experiments I just know there's more to be had there...

Could have told myself you knew about page :p... agree what they show looks very convincing to get better stereo setup but is in same boat about costs :)

Getting close to where I wanted to be again. Good enough to engrave the current settings in stone. I'll be backing up the settings I have now before I move on to the next tweaks.

At least I've learned that much! :)

Deviating from the usual setup songs confirms it's working. I still have some wishes (the soundstage may be a touch too wide in some songs) though I don't want to risk losing what I have otherwise. Tonally it works again. Imaging works very well too, next step after backup will be fine tuning the ambient channels again to gain a bit in the phantom center (position, not tonally). Hopefully that will sort out the wide stage too, as the overall balance between channels dictates how wide the stage gets.

Trying out the new Spectogram features of REW:
newspectogram.jpg

Very cool update, REW V5.19 beta 7a, should give us a little more info to chew on!

This is my current FIR based correction I've been working on, warts and all. (Stereo sum at the LP)
Graph is made with default settings, showing: Linear (% peak), aside from a little longer time span (changed it to 30 ms) before the peak.

More info in this thread: Is there a freeware alternative to APL TDA ?

Tried some things and I can see me using this feature a lot in my journey to better sound.

Last edited:
Today I played with my ambient channels, varying the content of the added reverb. I must have said this before, this really is one of the most successful additions to my stereo setup.

It's pretty amazing how one can change anything at will. What do I mean by that? The ambient channels are not heard directly, yet they can subtly change perception of the front stage.

In my reverb I have different setting for early and late reverb. Bringing down the early reverb while emphasizing the later reverb places me in a bigger room while the recording seems pure, wide, yet a little distant.

If I bring up the early reverb and drop down the latter ones, a whole different experience. It places me more towards front row, with wider that 150 degree scenery (depending on the recording). It drops me right there in the recording space.

And I can have anything in between... so many options, so little time to explore them all.

The reverb itself is adjustable too, between dry/wet with a dial that currently is at only 45% (meaning I hear the diffused ambient Haas Kicker louder than the added reverb).
The job of the reverb is drowning my real room queues with a more even and sweet sound (similar in tonal balance as the mains).

This is the room without the Haas/Ambient parts:
newspectogram.jpg

At 30 ms we saw BYRTT snoring on my couch :D. But the higher parts are less even. The ambient channels fill in the part between 200 and about 3 kHz in a controlled way. Adjustable at will, they hide the real room.

In one sentence: I'm back in business!

Looks like you have your smile on your face, the eyebrows and everything in between!

Cool!

I can only guess I am following you a little with my OB setup, and I vary the amount of ambience by adding thinner of thicker dampening panels behind the OBs.

You're all digital, I'm all analogue! :)

BTW, that's a REW graph? Since when did they start to have these nicer graphics (not that my setup will look like that!) closer to the looks of APL TDA's software?

Last edited:
...BTW, that's a REW graph? Since when did they start to have these nicer graphics (not that my setup will look like that!) closer to the looks of APL TDA's software?

Release was few days ago see post 19 here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/310269-freeware-alternative-apl-tda-2.html#post5201019

Personal think new change list really rocks and have a feeling wesayso is in same rock camp :), we can now import offline sweeps and other audio files which had been a perfect use for case we had over at fluid's array thread, also using Java drivers now support 88,2/96kHz how nice is that :D, waterfall and spectrograms got more flexible setting for different needs, in details see here REW Beta Release - Changes in V5.19 beta 7 | AV NIRVANA

Not so long ago Jriver also impressed me in they released version 23 as a real 64bit program, how nice is that :D.

Yes, that new REW release rocks! Much more flexibility in the way we can use it and as clear as APL_TDA in regard of timing issues.
You can even view older measurements with it, which is a big plus too. And this REW version is fully user adjustable and not fixed like APL's version is.
I still mean to compare them more closely one day but so far I'm impressed.

I did buy the JRiver version 23 upgrade, interesting.... Any impressions on it yet?

Being all digital is both a blessing and a curse. I can change any part at will, that means it will take quite a while to find what you really want from it! I've been at it for a long time and just starting to learn what does what to our perception...
Very interesting and intriguing. But the eyebrows are back! Lots of smiles per minute again.

Last edited:
...I did buy the JRiver version 23 upgrade, interesting.... Any impressions on it yet?

Also jumped on their seriously good v23 discount offer some time back, but is still on latest staple 32bit v22 because had not find a free moment yet to try 64bit v23, but the day they announced it via email had some nice reading over there, their tech guys promise 5-15% better speed performance and saw some feedback guys report that cases from past leading to glitches and stuttering now flows as they often dreamed about.

...But the eyebrows are back! Lots of smiles per minute again.

...:up: also your shared new REW graph looks impressing and should wake up marketing team at Tymphany to update their TC9FD18-08 datasheet application note.