Ideas for efficient IN-WALLS?!?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know, I know, in-wall is not the best, especially if you're not doing major constructive surgery. But at some point, we will change our DLP for a flat TV, and I don't want to continue with the slim Infinity towers I have. They are nice, but low sensitivity. I want to get back to efficient, open-sounding drivers.

I'm open to what type-could be a two-way or maybe a good fullrange driver. I seem to remember Polydax had some 6" that were like 96 dB sensitivity, then I would need tweeters to match. And I know there are some (very expensive?) fullrange drivers which then have no crossover. I'll probably build a sub into the ceiling so the bottom end is not a big concern, it is OK if the bass rolls off kinda high.

On the other hand, drivers need to be 3.5" or with drywall thickness maybe 4" max.

Ideas?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Check out the In the wall back loaded horns thread here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/238424-wall-back-loaded-horns.html

With a Fostex FE166 you can get 95 dB to 100 dB of bass output with 1 watt. It reaches pretty low down to the 20's Hz.

357377d1372591417-wall-back-loaded-horns-wall-blh-long-freq-1m.png

Another option is a flat, on-the-wall Cornu speaker:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/225622-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html

Here is sim of Cornu with a TB W5-1611 at 3 meters away from wall.

350896d1369591065-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-cornu-90x10.14cm-w5-1611-freq-1.2m-height-ts-meas-3-meters-fronthorn-freq.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, a horn folding on itself. Well, that would require major wall surgery, but it's certainly an idea. I'm also encouraged to see what I presume is a decent full range (Fostex FE166e) is not too expensive at $75ish.
Hi, I don't see any reason why not using the Fostex FE166En 6.5". It works fine in a BR 10L with a 2" port (12cm length). You can cross to sub 75-100Hz.
The big brother Fostex FE206En 8" might not have the clearance you need... and is more expensive.
Also nice HE drivers for 2-Ways and full-ranges at faitalpro.
FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers
4FE32
6moons audio reviews: First Watt - An introduction by Nelson Pass

Last edited:
Whether a pair of "in-wall" enclosures that protruded out from the face of the drywall would be a huge aesthetic no-no would depend on the individual situation, but my concern would be the beaming at higher frequencies. Regardless of size, I've found any FR driver I've used so far for the L&R mains have benefited from minor degree of toe-in.

Ryan's approach in the threads referenced above are rather interesting - IINM the one with small tweeter had a small wave-guide, which with minor shimming could probably provide the focused toe-in that could help offset HF beaming.

Ryan - once completed with the fabric covers, how far did these protrude from the wall?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.