Audionirvana new "classic series" FR without whizzer cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It appears as though they just haven't finished updating the site yet. From what they have so far..

"Audio Nirvana 'Classic 8 Cast Frame'
($228/pr plus shipping)"

"In addition to our regular models, we are now introducing a revolutionary new speaker......the Audio Nirvana 'Classic Series'.

A full-range speaker that uses no whizzer cone or phase plug and yet still reaches 20,000 hz.

A special proprietary design makes this possible."

"New technology has also allowed us to design--for the first time in history--a true full-range speaker WITHOUT a whizzer cone or phase plug. Similar in appearance to the legendary Western Electric and Altec 755A, our speaker exceeds the 12,500 hz limits of this great speaker. Our 'Classic 8', with ferrite magnet, is available now and we intend to expand the model line as soon as possible. No, it's not as good as our Super 8 Alnico or Super 8 Neodymium, but it's better than any other 8 inch full-range on the market."

"The 'Classic' series does not require a whizzer cone or phase plug."

"The Audio Nirvana 'Classic 8 Cast Frame' ($228/pr) has a frequency response from 42 hz to almost 20,000 hz. You can expect at least 98 db efficiency in any of our cabinets. It handles 30 watts continuous RMS (normal listening level will be about 1/10 watt). Impedance is 8 ohms. Voice coil is 1.4 inches (35.5mm). Magnet weight is 3.2 lbs. Total weight is 9 lbs. The cone is made of paper. The surround is accordion style and made of treated cloth. The dust cap is a specially coated fabric material. The frame is cast aluminum."

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/classic8.jpg

an8classict.jpg

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8classicspecs.jpg

The historical reference, W.E. 755A measured in the recommended cab alignment and no doubt driven with a high output impedance, so can't be directly compared in an overlay.

Ditto that it's a bi-flex diaphragm design, so while the AN is more extended, I have to wonder how well it would fare in double blind testing if BW limited to a direct comparison.

GM

Attachments

• RCA measured_we755a1ii3.jpg
    RCA measured_we755a1ii3.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 570
  • 755A-1.jpg
    755A-1.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 526
Not very I suspect. ;) I quite like this bit though:

"New technology has also allowed us to design--for the first time in history--a true full-range speaker WITHOUT a whizzer cone or phase plug."

Just a trifle of marketing hyperbole there, methinks. ;)

That aside, I hope it does prove to be a good driver -I'm all for eradicating whizzer cones whenever possible.

Not very I suspect. ;) I quite like this bit though:

"New technology has also allowed us to design--for the first time in history--a true full-range speaker WITHOUT a whizzer cone or phase plug."

Just a trifle of marketing hyperbole there, methinks. ;)

That aside, I hope it does prove to be a good driver -I'm all for eradicating whizzer cones whenever possible.

No, probably not.

The Babb Lorelei was nominally flat from 20-20 kHz in a small cab without a whizzer, though with a phase plug built into its protective grill, and had enough linear power handling to make more 'full-range' performance without the need for room gain than any other I can recall; but a pair was ~4x costlier, so the 'classic' may prove to be a relative bargain overall for those folks that can still hear well up high.

GM

the fact that the responses are more similar than different leads me to believe that they are systemic, that is, due to the way we design them, not due to manufacturing errors.

could we, as a community, design a better speaker driver?

True enough.

From sad/frustrating experience, no.

The basslist, which arguably had the most knowledgeable group of folks 'per capita' couldn't even agree on a woofer that ultimately became the Avatar [Adire] Shiva and there was a simple two way cone/dome mini-monitor attempt that ended in disaster, but don't recall the details at this late date.

At one time, Nick McKinney [Lamba Acoustics] did some research for us and found that the tooling, materials for the W.E./Altec 755 still existed, but would require something like a 1000 [10,000?] lot @ $100/ea. IIRC, so with no hope of selling enough of them at a profit to break even............

I considered seeing what Eminence might could economically do, but 'life' has kept me from even getting a functioning HIFI system worthy of the name back up n' running for ~ a decade now despite help from others, so all things considered, will probably remain just a 'pipe dream' unless the housing market recovers much faster than anticipated.

Anyway, most folks seem to prefer the type of 'bang/buck' performance Markaudio is producing over Fostex, etc., so probably not enough market to bother.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.