Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pappa's TL
Pappa's TL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Jim Shearer is offline Jim Shearer  United States
diyAudio Member

More shots of the build. You can see the stuffing/lining, and the BSC which is on a small board attached to the side--and accessible through the driver hole in case it should need to be changed later.

The back side and exit area of the TL are painted flat black. And for the first time, I used a terminal cup rather than having binding posts standing proud of the surface where they are mounted.

Now letís talk about veneer. SWMBO wanted something other than the red oak I have been using for years now. She chose red cedar. Have to say, it looks really nice. So I ordered 6 sheets (2í x 8í), enough to do this project and at least one more that I have in mind. I havenít seen another project done with red cedar, so this may be unique.

Well, there is a reason why red cedar isnít more popular: Unfortunately, the stuff is very brittle. And some of the knots are popping off as I unroll the sheets. So I had to pick through all six sheets and cut strips from them to cover the sides. I had no trouble wrapping the red oak around a 3/8Ē round over. The cedar, on the other hand, turns into splinters! In order to cover the round overs, I had to moisten the cedar to soften it. What a nightmare! More expensive to start with, and then a lot of it is simply waste. Never again! (As they say, ďIts been a great learning experience.Ē)

The final photo shows the new PTL next to the F120A Metronome I build a couple years ago.

As I mentioned earlier, I am happy with the sound. Each driver has its own characteristics. The FF225wk isnít the last word in resolution--which is a good thing. I feel it makes the most of less than perfect recordings, such as Benny Goodmanís 1938 Carnegie Hall concert. (Great music, but a technically inferior recording.) It doesnít suffer the quirks of whizzered drivers, and the highs are good enough for me with the added tweeter.

Hopefully, measurements will follow in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTL-004.jpg (58.9 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg PTL-005.jpg (55.4 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg PTL-006.jpg (19.7 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg PTL-007.jpg (42.3 KB, 565 views)
Old 21st August 2013, 08:52 PM   #22
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pappa's TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
... She chose red cedar. Have to say, it looks really nice... I havenít seen another project done with red cedar, so this may be unique.
Cedar is a really interesting building material.

Bernie has done a number of boxes out of Western Red Cedar including a couple prototype uFonkenSET flat-paks.

I have a FAST 1st heard last WE that is targeted at a 1/4-3/8" covering of red cedar over the plywood.

dave
Old 21st August 2013, 10:11 PM   #23
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

vacuum press perhaps?
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:23 AM   #24
Jim Shearer is offline Jim Shearer  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

At 1/4" thick I can see that cedar might be reasonable to work with. I had thought that the paper backed veneer ( 1/32" thick) could work if I avoided having to cut through a knot on an edge or bend one over the 3/8" round over.

Clearly I should have consulted a woodworker like Chris first!

Cheers, Jim
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:54 AM   #25
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Pappa's TL
Jim,
The speakers look really fantastic in red cedar. I love that look. I wonder if building the speaker out of solid cedar is a possibility? Is it expensive wood? Probably not as decks and furniture for the patio is built with it. You may have to glue strips together for a wide board though? Nice work!
Are you going to make little cubes or something for the tweeters? A little red cedar box?
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:18 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pappa's TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I wonder if building the speaker out of solid cedar is a possibility?
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Is it expensive wood?
They grow in my back yard.

dave
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:24 PM   #27
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Hi Dave,

At 1/4" thick I can see that cedar might be reasonable to work with. I had thought that the paper backed veneer ( 1/32" thick) could work if I avoided having to cut through a knot on an edge or bend one over the 3/8" round over.

Clearly I should have consulted a woodworker like Chris first!

Cheers, Jim

for working with solid you really want to talk to Bernie - Dave did you get a group shot of the 6 pairs of microfonkens at last week's event?

note that red cedar such as in the photo above is soft enough that it's very easily scratched / gouged by handling, while Oak. Locust, and even Cherry is much harder

Last edited by chrisb; 22nd August 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:39 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pappa's TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Dave did you get a group shot of the 6 pairs of microfonkens at last week's event?
Ruth got some. I haven't seen them yet.

dave
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:25 PM   #29
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Love that luster and shine! Congrats Dave
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:36 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pappa's TL
My design, 1st pass prototype cedar flat-pak by Bernie, assembled and finished by Chris.

dave

Pappa's TLHide this!Advertise here!