A quick slap-together: 3 l + Visaton FRS 8M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently received a total of 8 (!) Visaton FRS 8 M (8 ohm) drivers from Thomann and couldn't resist throwing together a small cab to try things in.

I'm a "go by feel" -kinda prototypist when it comes to these things. A design should please the eye as well as the ear, but some things regarding shapes and placements come naturally. And yes, I've had my time in semi-professional photography in the past decade and composition was always my strong point (let's not discuss this further or we'll run into my all of my numerous weak points).

So, I had some 18 mm thick 200 mm wide laminated pine board laying around. The end result was a Vin ~3 liter box. I just planed the first enclosure prototype in the garage by hand and it'll at least look fairly decent, I hope, with the naturalistic elements I'm planning for it.

The enclosure is slim, the baffle is about 95 mm wide and 240 mm tall, depth I can't recall (and am too lazy to walk 30 feet to the garage). Total V is around, as i said, 3 liters.

What would YOU do with this? The driver is a smallish 3,3" (80 mm) full range cheapo with an Fs of 125 Hz and Qts @ 0.49. All other specs can be found here:
FRS 8 M - 8 Ohm

I've so far assembled the "vertical" parts together, that is it's missing the top and bottom. The top will proably be a piece of firewood (birch, with bark still on it) and the bottom piece will probably sit inside the walls (choosing the height means having the freedom of adjusting the volume of the enclosure in the end) and will also be removable. The front wall has a hole 1/3 or about 80 mm of its height down from the top for the driver. No other holes are present.

The aim is to have a decent speaker for desktop listening at work, using low volumes for 80% of the time and for long-running days a bit more than low volumes. I'm not a huge bass freak, but it'd be nice to get around to 60..65 Hz with some kind of tweaks, if necessary, even if it takes some EQ to get there. I'm currently running a pair of old stereo speakers with a tiny 2x3W digital amp that I built inside a scrap piece of firewood (yes, those almost exist, don't they? :) ) that gives me ample SPL using ~87 dB/ 1W @ 1kHz speakers.

If anyone has ideas, I'm open -- taking into account the pre-set boundaries mentioned above. Take it as an excercise in "what would you do if you only had..." -context.

-Sale

Ps., English isn't my first language, especially when it comes to audio. Bear with me.

FRS 8 M

Hello look my TROMBONE made for two Visaton´s
trombone

Today i would prefer the MINI-POSAUNE,
easyier to built.

because of the max. stroke you get max. 94 dB
down 35 Hz.

Free MINI-POSAUNE plan in german but understandable here
Hörner

Attachments

• kornetthin1web.jpg
    kornetthin1web.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 458
What kind of passive filtering does everyone use for this driver? I've read about some harshness in the upper frequencies and my impressions from this one speaker so far suggests that it needs a few dB of calming down perhaps from, say, 3 kHz up. BSC?

The bottom end, however, is surprisingly pleasing in this 3 litre enclosure (tuned to 63 Hz with a 32 mm dia., about 150 mm long reflex tube. I've yet to add damping material to suppress internal cabinet sounds coming from the reflex tube, but all in all, especially when the speaker is positioned optimally close to a wall and the listening position is across the room on the opposite wall, the low end becomes almost too pronounced. (The point was to use the speakers with the bedroom television and the room layout is exactly the kind mentioned. No subs needed for 97 % of the time.)

-Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.