Markaudio CHR-70.3 wallmount >@< upside down - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Default Markaudio CHR-70.3 wallmount >@< upside down

Hi here.

Me and the wife moved to a new flat, inside the city of Fredericia. See them walls, not very appropiate for wall mount speakers

So, what do i do ? - turn them upside down, so music can be played until i build some new chassis for them.

I consider the pensils chr70.3, as they look easy, but also i look at the frugalhorns, which look very good, but is somehow harder to build, allthrough i think i can manage it!

Right now, i play with a simple lm4780 gainclone, usb dac, NAS server and raspberryPI MPD music server, controlled with ipad.

I have a lot of other gear on the roof (f4, bozos, dddac, pass riaa, thorens LP etc... Etc...)... But for now, i am happy with the gainclone, driven by an amb jisboz classA preamp.

Well... I could use some suggestions, instructions, whatever to help me choose, which kind of speaker to build for my CHRs!

/ i must also say, that i have a nice pair, phaseplugged FE207E, laying around too, but i really like the sound of the CHRs... I did scrap my halfchangs a year ago, that is i never really feel right for them.

// Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 12th August 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hang them from the wall anyway, either upside down in a hook and screweye or vertically. Vertically you won't have them "dangling" so much.

I'd say it wouldn't be worth it to build either of the ones you suggest. Pencil is too much like what you've already got. If i has to be standing on the floor, just put nicer feet on. FH3 is too deep and will need a corner to work at its best.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, with the CHR70s (or Alpair 7s) the FH3 won't really need corners, but there's not doubt that they do have a much larger footprint than the Pensils.

The only issue I could see hanging the Pensils directly from the ceiling is that the driver location could be too high, and if you lower them enough to correct, you'll lose the "floor" (quarter-space) boundary loading that I believe is part of their design calculus.

And yes, being entirely rectilinear, the Pensil is a rather easier build than the FH3s
Old 12th August 2013, 04:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Definatly i will not hang them down, from ceiling too low waf here

The wallmount was singing so very good, when they was lined up, at a straight wall, where we lived before! So i will go build another chassis for the drivers.

I have been reading a lot about FAST consept, and i have in mind to make a set of subs, when i am done rebuilding. ... Maybee...

Actually i read, after i posted yesterday, that the fh3 was better off in corners, and with that in mind, i think my mind is upto the pensils for now.

Thanks

// Jesper
Old 12th August 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jesper - the FH3 was designed for a range of drivers in the 4" class, including at least one (Fostex FE126E) that definitely benefits from / requires corner loading for full bass response. Compared to the Fostex, all Mark Audio drivers have a fair degree of BSC contoured into their frequency response, and need less help in that regard. Indeed my initial impression with the A7 in FH3 was "perhaps too much?" - a notion on which I was soon corrected.

If you're thinking of a wall mount for the CHRs, and particularly adding dual woofers/"subs" as well, there are several very compact enclosures that work quite well that lend themselves to wall /shelf mount

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...Ken-261111.pdf

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...dix-191209.pdf

I've not built every iteration of the above, but several, including some for family members - no complaints (but then the price was right )
Old 13th August 2013, 04:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The wide classic, really looks amazing.

Wonder how it goes compared with the pensils ?

And i agree, that the CHR70 are better with bass, than other drivers (at least what i tried).

I think the wide classic ones, would look good, on a nice stand.

EDIT :: any suggestion for small subs ?

Last edited by lykkedk; 13th August 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 13th August 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

fresh, local, organic

oh, you weren't talking sandwiches

I'd personally go for a pair of 6-8" woofers rather than larger "sub-drivers" - look for something with extended and fairly smooth upper roll-off

For a few years now I've been using the CSS SDX7, but there are literally dozens of decent choices - depending on the vagaries of international commerce not all are universally available or at comparable prices.

Peerless, Silver Flute, TangBand, SEAS, SB Acoustics - etc

Hide this!Advertise here!