can someone look at this chart and tell me if im nuts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2013, 01:27 AM   #1
osd1 is offline osd1  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default am i going about this right?

hey now.

im trying to figure out how the hell im gonna choose what drivers i wanna use for this f.a.s.t. set up. i took a day or two away from this section and posted a lot over in the multi way just to weigh out all my options. this is the one that my gut is telling me to stick with. so what im gonna do is show you guys my thought process, how much i can use what little knowledge i do have and you can tell me what im doing wrong.

right now im looking at these full rangers:
vifa ne95w
vifa ne123w
visaton b80
fostex fe103n
fostex f83en
fostex ff85wk

im gonna use the visaton b80 (B 80 - 8 Ohm) as sn example because its ruler flat. now to me that doesn't mean much. because i've heard non flat tweeters sound magical. but its flat and probably easy for me in this example.

ok so the only 2 parameters that i know to look for in this situation is sensitivity and impedance. i dont understand the other t-s parameters because i never really look into that stuff. id rather work on making a beautiful enclosure. i understand what fs is, i understand a higher qts means sealed box. but im gonna look at impedance and its 8ohm, and its 85db 1w/1m.

so now im gonna look at some 8" woofers. as tempted as i am to use a dayton utlimax 10 (lol) im gonna hold off and look at something more practical.
im shooting for 35ish hz, but only expect 40hz up to have the output i want so i can hear it (or feel it if your gonna be one of those technical people who think its truly non directional). i prefer sealed but beggers can't be choosers.

so what do i do? look for a woofer thats just as sensitive and has good output around the lowest hz and output close to what fullrange has at the xo point?

Last edited by osd1; 11th August 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11th August 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

add the css fr125 to the mix.
Old 11th August 2013, 02:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Get the Tang Band 1772 in a MLTL with BSC and "forget about it"!

Larry
Old 11th August 2013, 02:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
Get the Tang Band 1772 in a MLTL with BSC and "forget about it"!

Larry
im doing a f.a.s.t. set up. small sealed box for the full rangers, whatever for the subs and possibly a super tweeter
Old 11th August 2013, 02:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds complicated, the solution is SO simple and no need for a sub or super tweeter! Just add your favorite amp!

Larry
Old 11th August 2013, 02:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
Sounds complicated, the solution is SO simple and no need for a sub or super tweeter! Just add your favorite amp!

Larry
so those tang bands can handle death metal, hardcore and industrial at decently loud volumes?

and they also can handle double bass drum at loud enough output? (im told double bass drum s 41hz give or take)
Old 11th August 2013, 03:24 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I found the TB 1772 (and the 1808) lacking in DDR.

dave
Old 11th August 2013, 04:37 AM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

osd1,

Look forward to hearing more about your project. I have not had much success with metal genres and single FR driver systems - so FAST definitely is a good idea. I plan to build a Paul Carmody Classix II for metal stuff , but that is a discussion for the multi-way forum.

p.s. Dave, for metal DDR would probably not be a big problem, but IM distortion would be cruel for any single FR driver
Old 11th August 2013, 04:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ya, pick a woofer that fits your size requirements, impedance, and something high sensitivity. It's a pretty simple process that part.

The FR is harder to choose.
Old 11th August 2013, 02:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Are these going to be positioned against a wall, in corner(s) or out into the room? Because that's a consideration.

Regardless of position, personally, I tend to pick woofers that are more sensitive than the wideband because then I can get (what I feel is) a balanced sound at a lower volume. Of course that's with a passive crossover (active crossover can separately adjust the volume of wideband vs. woofer).

Hide this!Advertise here!